How can I automatically assign new bugs to the current sprint?

Daniel Etra September 25, 2012

Rather than have new bugs get lost in our backlog, I'd like to have new, high priority bugs get automatically assigned to the current sprint, since the team looks at this every day. I can set the sprint field in the workflow when an issue is created, but I can only set it to a specific sprint, not dynamically to the current sprint. Any thoughts on how to accomplish what I am after?

Thanks, - Daniel

1 answer

0 votes
SimonS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 26, 2012

Hey Daniel,

Are you using the "Classic" GreenHopper boards, or the new "Rapid Boards"?

The classic boards has sprints as fix versions, so you could make that field required and hope that whoever makes the issue knows to assign it to the active sprint.

Altering a Sprint in progress isn't possible on the Rapid Board implementation I'm afraid though. If issues come up like this often, it might be a better idea to use a Kanban board. You can automatically assign all new bugs to have a default assignee who could then triage it appropriately.

See "Project Lead" here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Defining+a+Project

Suggest an answer