How can I assign issues to a particular role instead of a particular person?

takeshi sasaki May 9, 2012

Instead of assigning issues to specifidc people, I would like to setup JIRA in a way that issues are assigned to specific roles (queues) . For example, a role may be "Development Support".

By that, a team can work to monitor the queue (issues assigned to a role), and make assignments internally.

Is there a way to do this, or is there a better way to do a similar thing?

3 answers

1 vote
Lucía Manescau May 9, 2012

I needed to do something similar and what I did is create a custom field for the issues (in your case, you need a select group type). You can change the notifications to make the users of the assigned group recibied mail when the issue is created, assigned, ... To monitor these issues, I recommend create a filter using the custom field.

takeshi sasaki May 9, 2012

Thanks, that helps.

Actually, I did create a custom field with the select group type.

One thing that was missing for my case is that I want to be able to restrict the group that can be chosen, depending on the transition. Between the different transitions within a single issue life cycle, the role (queue) to be receiving the issue changes. I am trying to see if a plugin can be used in our enviornment, so that I can use the validator function to do this restriction. If you know something around this, please tell me.

0 votes
Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 9, 2012

I'm not sure if I understand the question very well, but as I see if you need to assign to a role in a transition there is a Post Function called 'Assign to role memeber' where the issue is assigned to the default member of the selected Role.

Mark Symons
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 9, 2012

"Assign to role member" is a post function that is provided by the free "JIRA Misc Workflow Extensions" plugin (link takes you to the specific documentation).

It's a bit of work to set up (creating property keys) if you have a lot of projects and a lot of queues but can be worth the effort.

Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 9, 2012

Really? Woah, I didn't know it was part of a plugin because that plugin have been installed since my first day with Jira, I though it was a default Post-Function.

Ok, I think that plugin could be the solution.

0 votes
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 9, 2012

Suggest an answer