How can I assign a task to someone who is not in my system?

Deleted user April 10, 2014

I have new people coming in to the company and I am trying to assign them tasks but I don't know how to add their name to the pool of resources.

Please advise.

7 answers

0 votes
Mike Sorensen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 10, 2014

You could create a Label with the new user's name. Then you could use JQL to search for issues marked with that user's Label.

0 votes

I can't see user management section on my screen. Where is it and how I can find it?

Frédéric Tardieu
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 11, 2014

Which JIRA version are you using? Usually you can access user management from top right corner (administration icon).

0 votes
Frédéric Tardieu
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 10, 2014

Yep, this is why I said you need to have administration rights, then create a user (with any mail address), then insure that the user is part of jira-developer group to ba able to be assigned with a task.

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 10, 2014

Only administrators can add users to the system. If your company has a naming standard you could have the administrator add their userid and email to the system as soon as they are scheduled to come in. Short of that, you're out of luck. Only valid JIRA users can have issues assigned to them.

0 votes

I tried it. It tells me the user is not recognized. It only recognized the names already in the system. I need to add new names that I can assign tasks to them. It does not allow me.

0 votes
Frédéric Tardieu
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 10, 2014

I don't know which JIRA version you're currently using, but you should have administration rights, then go to user management section, then create the user. Don't forget that the newly created user must be part of jira-developers group to be able to be assigned with a task. You can change groups for an existing user in user management section too.

0 votes
Frédéric Tardieu
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 10, 2014

Tasks can only be assigned to a user defined in JIRA. You may create a user in JIRA with a mail address which is not part of your mail domain, but a user has to be defined in JIRA.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events