It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How can I add read only custom text field in create issue screen without using any add-on?

I need to add text to a transition screen. I tried using the text filed (read only) and add it to the screen, but it's not showing. is there any custom filed could be used without using plugin?? 

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

Hello,

is it a static text? If so, maybe using description of other fields can be useful. Description of field is shown under the field itself.

However if you want to have certain information shown, my guess is that plugins are the way.

I can recommend using ScriptRunner and their Behaviours for making ceratin fields filled up with value and read only on ceratin screens. Reffer to their documentation: https://scriptrunner.adaptavist.com/latest/jira/behaviours-overview.html

Thanks for your answer!

Yes exactly it is a static text, but the filed I want to add description to is a global filed ( Attachment).

So i thought of adding read only field but it's not showing. 

So the text is supposed to be shown only for certain project?

Like yousra samih likes this

Field descriptions (even built in fields like attachment) can be customized per project in the Field configurations. So you can create a custom configuration for your case that sets a custom description, and then create a field configuration scheme that applies it to that issue type.

So you can create a "customized" field description for the attachment field that only applies to a certain issue in a certain project. 

@Andrew Laden  Thanks!! context is very helpful in my case. 

That's a bodge for creating useless issues in Jira.  This question is about displaying helpful text during creation.

Without adding an app, the only thing that can be done natively is giving a field a description (which are global things for all projects the field appears in)

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published in Jira

The add-in you’ve been waiting for: Jira Cloud for Excel 🙌

Introducing Jira Cloud for Excel Here at the product integrations team at Atlassian, we are thrilled to announce the new Jira Cloud for Excel add-in! This add-in lets you export Jira data directly ...

864 views 6 24
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you