How can I add one linked status in multiple steps in workflow?

Mohin Uddin February 12, 2013

Hi,

How can I add one linked status in multiple steps in workflow?

Could you please inform me regarding this issue?

It would be helpful for me.

Thanks

Mohin

5 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 30, 2014

No, definitely not. A status needs to be a clear statement of exactly where an issue is in its process flow. If you allow the same status to be reused, you simply can't track the issue any more.

However, there is a good strong argument for "meta status" to be presented to sets of users who don't need to to know the exact details, or to cover groups of generalised status. You still have to have that unique 1:1 relationship between status and steps to keep the detail useful, but you can say "those 6 steps are all testing, those three are estimation" and so on.

In fact, that's what the Service Desk plugin does, and Agile to a lesser extent. You've got a normal Jira workflow behind it, but the SD addon shows a simplified status to the users (they don't care if it's being triaged, under development, in testing, in build etc, just that "it's with the developers"). Agile doesn't hide the the status, but it allows you three groups of status - Open / In Progress / Done.

0 votes
Steffen Wekeck July 30, 2014

Thanks for your quick response. Given the 1:1 link between status and step, is there any other efficient way (using conditions, post functions etc.) you can recommend for dynamically offering only the transition from "estimation" back to the status the workflow came from?

Thanks,

Steffen

0 votes
Steffen Wekeck July 30, 2014

Hi.

I think it would make sense to link a status to multiple steps. My situation is as floows:

In any of the (earlier) steps, a new estimate might be required. I would like to model this as a new transition from any such state X to the new state "estimating", such that the only transition possible from "estimation" is back to state X. Example: If the issue was "ready for spec" before, I want to enforce a return to that state, and not to "in spec review" or to "ready for dev".

So my plan was to have only one status "estimation", but several estimation-related steps, differing only in the step they are connected to by workflow transitions. Using mutiple statuses in that situation appears too clumsy.

Do you see a good way to cover this use case?

Thanks for your help.

Steffen

0 votes
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 17, 2013

And you can always come back to the an old status by defining a transition

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 12, 2013

You can't. It does not make sense to do it either. A status is a label showing you which step an issue is on in the workflow.

You can't have the same status for two steps because the entire point of the workflow is that the steps are DIFFERENT.

Suggest an answer