How can I add different workflows per issue-type in Jira?

Ruben Sadoyan February 25, 2013

Hi guys,

My project uses one workflow. I've copied it and re-named.

Dunno how can I set that all types of issues will be using one workflow, while e.g. stories will use the other for the same project?

Help is needed and will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Aquarius.

2 answers

1 accepted

8 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 25, 2013

Look for "workflow schemes"

A workflow-scheme says "for issue type 1, use workflow X, for issue type 8, use workflow Y and by default, for all other issue types, use Z".

The default workflow scheme says "use workflow X by default"

Gaetan DE ALMEIDA May 26, 2021

How do you do this in 2021?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 26, 2021

Same as you did in 2013 - workflow schemes are still the way Jira associates workflows with projects (on Server, DC and for Cloud company-managed projects.  Cloud team-managed projects don't have workflows)

Like Naveen Thadakamalla likes this
1 vote
Mizan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 25, 2013

You will first need to create a new workflow for the required issue type

Then from your workflow scheme associate a workflow to the issuetype .

Ruben Sadoyan February 25, 2013

Just to be clear...

Workflow is usually Create open resolve close sequence. Where is edit there or where in the workflow I should specify/restrict that editing is NOT possible?

Thanks,

Aquarius.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 25, 2013

Yes, workflow moves between status.

I think you're asking how to prevent people editing an issue when it is in certain status? The default workflow does that on "closed" - you'll notice that although you can "reopen", you can't "edit" closed issues.

The way to do that is with a property on the closed step. I can't remember off the top of my head (have a look at the closed step in the default workflow), but you set a property like "jira.editable = false"

Suggest an answer