How can I add custom columns inside JIRA issue List View programatically?

Vishnu Lal K April 11, 2016

Jira List View Q1.png

I have to add a column in the Jira Issue List view programatically. Or I want to append data to the "Summary" column?.

2 answers

2 votes
Jorge Suarez October 4, 2019

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist-  

While asking this same question in a slightly different context I came up with a nifty solution that should be useful to many.  Now that Nic works at Adaptavist I hope you can confirm this is the best way to do it.

Problem: 

I used ScriptRunner to generate a list of all issues that have a 'depends on' relationship. The only columns that I could add to show those 'depends on' issue keys was the "Links."  However, that shows all linked issues regardless if the type was 'depends on,' 'blocks,' 'blocked by,' 'relates to,' etc.  There is no simple way to show "Depends on" as a column.

JQL: 

"Clarity Project Name" in ("xxxx") AND issueFunction in hasLinks("depends on")

Note: "Clarity Project Name" is a Custom Field in our Jira.

Solution:  

Use ScriptRunner to create a "Scripted Field" called "Depends On", see: 

https://scriptrunner.adaptavist.com/5.0.4/jira/scripted-fields.html

Note: Docs are a bit confusing, but essential

• Add a new Custom Field via the normal way in Jira, making it of type Scripted Field.  No need to add to any screen.
  • Then go to Admin -> Manage Apps -> [Left Menu under ScriptRunner] Script Fields -> <YOU NEWLY CREATED FIELD> -> [Cog Wheel under Actions] -> Edit.
  • Enter the Groovy code below into the script area
import com.atlassian.jira.component.ComponentAccessor;

/* import org.apache.log4j.Logger
import org.apache.log4j.Level
def log = Logger.getLogger("com.acme.CreateSubtask")
log.setLevel(Level.DEBUG)
*/

import com.atlassian.jira.component.ComponentAccessor
def browseurl = com.atlassian.jira.component.ComponentAccessor.getApplicationProperties().getString("jira.baseurl")+"/browse/"
def issueLinkManager = ComponentAccessor.getIssueLinkManager()
def inlinks = issueLinkManager.getInwardLinks(issue.getId())
//log.debug(inlinks.size())
def keymap = [:]

issueLinkManager.getInwardLinks(issue.getId()).each { issueLink ->
if(issueLink.getIssueLinkType().getInward() == "depends on"){
def ikey = issueLink.getSourceObject().getKey();
//log.debug("iter: "+ikey)
keymap[ikey]="<a href=\""+browseurl+ikey+"\" >"+ikey+"</a>";
}
}
def sortedmap = keymap.sort{a, b ->
def (akey,aval) = a.key.split("-")
def (bkey,bval) = b.key.split("-")
if (akey == bkey)
return aval as int <=> bval as int;
return akey <=> bkey;
}
def keylist = []
sortedmap.each{k,v -> keylist.add(v)}

return keylist.join(", ")

Now "Depends On" field is available in the filter view so that you can show only the "Depends On" links.  Not sure why, why Depends On links only show as inward links, and alot of places on the net shows that they should appear on Outward links!?

2 votes
Mario Günter
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 11, 2016

Hi Vishnu, 

did you try die Column Button in the right upper corner?

2016-04-12 11_30_38.png

There you can search for additional fields and add them to the view. 

You can even define new fields - please refer to this official documentation.

Hope this helps, 
Cheers, Mario 

Vishnu Lal K April 11, 2016

Hi Mario,

Thanks for the reply.

I want to know, Is there a way to add this programatically using the JIRA Java APIs? 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 12, 2016

Yes, you could, but DO NOT DO IT.  At best it's a waste of your coding time for almost zero benefit, at worst, it'll just annoy your users.

The columns you see are flexible and chosen by the user.  There are three places JIRA looks when choosing columns

1. If the user has viewed a saved filter which has had its layout defined, it will use that layout.   You will upset the owners and users of that filter if you add junk they don't want.
  2. The user's personal preferences on columns.  This is the one you absolutely should not touch - it's chosen by the users. It's a bit like breaking into someone's house and rearranging the furniture without their permission
  3. The system default.  You could touch this one safely, but there's no point - it's far easier to just get the admin to add it
Mario Günter
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 12, 2016

Sorry, I didn't get that. But unfortunately I cannot give an answer on that. Maybe by doing a javascript post with a customfield_id.

Edit: Thanks Nic!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 12, 2016

I read it as "I want to write code that will add columns to the settings", which is one of those actions that upsets users (the nice ones will simply delete it again, the grumpy ones like me will have a go at the admins for interfering with their stuff).

I like your answer because the columns should be left up to the users.

Suggest an answer