How can I add a state transition validator to ensure that Priority is set?

Mike Burton September 21, 2017

We have a default priority called "Unprioritized". I would like to ensure that the priority is set to any other value (besides Unprioritized) when a ticket transitions to another state.

The way I've done this for other fields was to use a "Field Required Validator" to require that the field has been set. However, in this case the field is already set, just not to a useful value. For other fields, you can generally make them optional, in which case the Field Required Validators works fine, but that doesn't seem to be an option for the Priority field.

How can I ensure my users set the priority on a state transition?

1 answer

0 votes
Dave Theodore [Coyote Creek Consulting]
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 21, 2017

Best practices would be to not have the "Unprioritized" Priority and leave the field blank when things are not prioritized. Given that you have things set up the way you do, probably the best solution would be to use the JIRA Workflow Toolbox app. (Hopefully you're not on Cloud.) You should be able to make the regexp Validator do what you need. 

I'd recommend eliminating the Unprioritized Priority and leaving the field blank, though. It would be easy to do this with a Bulk Edit, then delete the Priority.

Mike Burton September 21, 2017
Mike Burton September 23, 2017

One work around is to use a condition instead of a validator, but that is a confusing user experience because it means that the transition button is hidden and users may not know why. Also, it makes drag-and-drop impossible on scrum boards since it hides the target status.

Suggest an answer