How can I add a second workflow to a project?

Theresa Nazeer November 1, 2012

I need to add a second workflow to my project. that workflow will only direct "tasks". i created the secodn workflow but do not know how to add it to the project.

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 1, 2012

Add the workflow to the "workflow scheme"

Actually, not quite that simple, as the workflow scheme can't be edited while it's active. What you need to do is create a new workflow scheme (I'd copy the old one though), and add the new workflow into it, then you can go to the project and change the workflow scheme to the new one. Jira will run you through any migrations it needs to do if there are any (if you already have tasks in there and you're changing the status in the new workflow)

See https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Activating+Workflow

Nic you may have misunderstood the question. I do not want to change the existing workflow I want to have 2 workflows(1 for tasks and 1 for everything else) assigned to a project. I know it can be done as I have seen it on another project in the past. So it would be again 1 project but with 2 workflows assigned. Do you know how to add a second workflow?

Jo-Anne MacLeod
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 1, 2012

Actually Nic is exactly right on the workflow scheme, you can select the issue type (task), and then assign task type to use your new workflow. The original workflow will be used for all types other than tasks (or however you already have it defined).

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 1, 2012

As Jo-Anne says, that is what I just said. I've skimmed over making two workflows exist in one project (the link gives you a lot more detail), exactly what you asked for.

I think you are mixing up "workflow" with "workflow scheme".

• A "workflow" is the process an issue follows.
  • A "workflow scheme" is the configuration setting that tells a project which "workflow" to use for each issue type in the project

Could you re-read my answer with those distinctions in mind?

Thank you both for your clarifcation. I will give it a try!

Suggest an answer