How can I add a condition to a workflow based on the presence of linked issues, without plugins?

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 23, 2021

I would like to do the following without needing a plugin.

Assume there is a transition I want to add which should only appear if no linked issues of a certain type are present.

Is this possible using Jira Cloud's native Automation for Jira functionality?

1 answer

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 23, 2021

Hi Rob,

there isn’t a Condition for linked issues. You could consider reverting the transition after the fact. Not sure if that is acceptable solution.

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 23, 2021

Nope.  I have an ugly workaround - use a custom field as a flag - but ugly workaround is ugly.

Like # people like this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 23, 2021

Yep. But at least it works w/o $ outlay. ;)

Like Bill Sheboy likes this
Simmo
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 3, 2022

Hi @Rob Horan

Could you elaborate a bit more on your use case so I can see if there is anything I can suggest?

Cheers,

Simeon.

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 3, 2022

I wanted to have a transition appear only if there were no linked issues present corresponding to a particular link relationship.

Simmo
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 3, 2022

You're talking about changing the behaviour of Jira itself?

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 11, 2022

@Simmo I'm not sure of what that means

Simmo
Atlassian Team
January 11, 2022

Sorry mate, I mean, you want to have an automation rule that can affect what the Jira UI is presenting?

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 12, 2022

I mean I want a workflow condition that allows or disallows a transition based on the presence of linked issues of a particular link type.

Suggest an answer