Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

How can I activate a user that belongs to a group mailbox with SSO enabled?

I've set up a user in JIRA that has a team mailbox email address. However, if I click on the invite from the mailbox it tries to log me in using my email and not the mailbox email.

Is there a way to login as this user?

1 answer

0 votes

There's no way to do this.  You should not have dummy users set up with mailbox accounts, it's a kludge to try to implement poor practices in Jira, and as you have discovered, it doesn't work very well.

Why have you got this email box set up with an account?

It's a group mailbox that is shared by a department. We want to assign JIRA's to this user so multiple people are notified. We could do it with groups but don't want to have to manage them.

Mmm, that's not a good practice (and it's forbidden in some industries), the assignee should be the one single person (currently) responsible for getting an issue done.

You can't create an account with a group email with SSO enabled (it's actually one of the security benefits of SSO - it blocks you from doing this)

@Nic Brough _Adaptavist_ 

This is a group mailbox monitored by our support desk. The plan is to initially assign it to the group mailbox and then once someone picks up the ticket they would assign it to themselves.

You should never assign to a group - leave the assignee empty until you've got a real person to take responsibility for it.  

By all means define a group picker to help you decide which group needs to pick it up (if you use a group picker, you can then get clever with restricting the possible assignees to the members of the selected group, or automating the next free person from the group)

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS

Atlassian Community Events