How can I Bulk changes the Issue type?

Andrew August 25, 2014

For example , there are 100 issues which type is "Bug" , I want to Bulk changes these issues , modify the type from "Bug" to "Configuration" .

What method can solve this problem?

The Jira version is 5.0.2

2 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 25, 2014
Sumit Kumar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 25, 2014

it can be done by adding issue type field on edit screen and then performing bulk change.

But only if they(Issue Types) shares same workflows

Like Servicedesk likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 25, 2014

Good point - if the field is on the edit screen and the source and target types are configured the same, a bulk-edit -> edit will work. If not, then use bulk edit -> move and it will ask you all the necessary questions (starting with target project which you leave the same, and target issue type)

Umair Haroon
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 8, 2015

Hi Nic. I would like to do a bulk change on some selected Sub-Tasks to other issue types (eg Bug, Improvement etc). However using the bulk change option I have not been able to do this (i.e it does not show me the option of bug, improvement etc ). I am only able to convert a Sub-Task type to other issue types (bug,improvement etc) on an individual bases but not in bulk change. How I can save time and do this via bulk change?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 8, 2015

No, you can only bulk-change issue types at the same level. Sub-task to sub-task and parent to parent.

0 votes
Yu Wang August 5, 2019

I am using Python to change the issue types in bulk. The following code worked for me.

First, you get a list of issues that need to change issue type.--> list_of_issues

for item in list_of_issues:
issue = jira.issue(item)
issue.update(fields={'issuetype': {'name': new_issue_type}})

Suggest an answer