How can I Bulk Update JIRA issues and ADD a 'Fix Version'?

pcimring June 3, 2013

Hi

I need to run a Version Workload Report in JIRA against ALL issues in our system that are currently unresolved.

I would like to run a Bulk Update and ADD a 'Fix Version' value to all selected items. That would provide me with a way to run a Version Workload Report.

Presently, some of those issues already have a 'Fix Version' assigned to them - and we do not want to lose that information. A quick test shows me that if I run the 'Bulk Update' and fill in a 'Fix Version' it will OVERWRITE the existing values. That's NOT what I want. I need to some way to Bulk Update and ADD a 'Fix Version'.

Alternatively, I need some way to produce a very similar report to the Version Workload Report, without supplying a 'Fix Version'. Does anyone know of such a report?

Thanks!

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
MJ
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 4, 2013

I think the only way for you to accomplish this is by excluding the issues you do not want to perform changes to in your search query. You could consider adding something like "AND fixversion not in (insert fix versions here which you do not want to change, comma separated)".

Alternatively, if the issues you want to change all have an empty value for fixed version you could also try to add "AND fixversion = NULL"

pcimring June 4, 2013

Actually, I came to the same conclusion myself :)

Basically, I'm going to:

1. Manually edit the issues with an existing 'Fix Version' and ADD the new version.
  2. Do a Bulk Update against those issues that do not have a 'Fix Version'' and assign them a new version.
  3. Run the Version Workload Report against the new version.

Not ideal, because it involves a fair bit of manual work - but do-able.

That said, JIRA should really offer both of the following:

i) Ability to Bulk Update and ADD values to a multi-value field.

ii) Ability to run a Version Workload Report against more flexible criteria. For example, instead of specifiying a Fix Version, you should be able to specify a Filter. This would be VERY useful.

Many thanks for your reply.

Like Preeti Sharma likes this
PTCFNA March 26, 2014

I agree, this would be very helpful for our process.

Ales Kecman August 11, 2014

Jira should not override the fix version (there should at least be an option to overwrite it or add additional). When you're dealing with loads of issues and need to update them, there is no way doing this manually. However in this case, the bulk operation is also completely useless.

We just learned a lesson in a hard way and hopefully we can fix this in the next couple of hours.

5 votes
francis
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 6, 2013

An approach we take is by using the script runner, a custom field and a transition. The recipe is as follows:

* Add a new 'version picker' custom field and call it 'add version'
* Add a circular global transition and call it 'add version', the transition has one transition screen containing the 'add version' custom field.
* In the global transition add a script which adds all versions from the 'add version' custom field to the fix version field.

Now you can actually run a bulk transition, select the add version transition, specify which version you want to add and let it run.

Script which does all the work (including removing fix versions) can be found here
https://gist.github.com/francismartens318/6863710

(Note that the script itself is running against an older JIRA, so it needs to be updated).

3 votes
pete_reitmeyer July 31, 2020

Disappointing...  another "seemingly" simple issue NOT addressed for over 7 yrs.  Guess we'll doing a bunch of manual editing since the tool can't do what we need. 

Time/effort/productivity...

Alex Vovchuk July 31, 2020

Agree...

pete_reitmeyer August 25, 2020

Actually, I found out this can be done.  The option in bulk edit still says "change" instead of something like "add/update", which is a little scary at first, but the options are now add, replace, and even remove now, so I tested it on a few and it worked, thenI did the rest as well.  One trick is to have your filter for bulk edit per project though, since it won't let you bulk edit fix version for multiple projects at once, like we needed to.  

Like Baris Baysal likes this

Suggest an answer