How best to split a custom field's values into two fields?

Michael Johnson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 22, 2017

Hi,

We have a check box custom field on a project that we need to split out into two check box fields. How best to do this that will retain the values on the current issues and be split into two fields going forward? My intuition is to rename the current field and disable certain values and create a new field with the disabled values from the current field. Make sense?

Thanks for any help,

Michael

2 answers

1 vote
Michael Johnson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 23, 2017

Hi Nic,
Here's our configuration:

Checkbox Field
Option A
Option B
Option C
Option D

And where we want to end up

*Checkbox Field 1*
Option A
Option C

*Checkbox Field 2*
Option B
Option D

I went with my intuition as stated in my original post. Created a new checkbox field for the disabled values from the original checkbox. Renamed the original field in line with the client's request.

The business use case went something like this. The client has a field on her project for Department(s) that are associated with a Project issue type. Some of the department(s) the client was responsible for contacting and some of them it was the responsibility of the reporter/requester to contact. She wanted to split the original Department(s) field to break the list out into two lists aligned with whose responsibility it was to contact them.

Does that make sense? I mocked up my solution in TEST and had the client review it, they were satisfied so I duplicated it in PROD.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 23, 2017

Complete sense, yes, and you did the right thing.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 22, 2017

I am not sure I understand the question - can you confirm that you have something like this on the issue:

Our checkbox field:

Option 1 (ticked)

Option 2 (ticked)

And what you want to end up with is

Our first checkbox field:

Option 1 (ticked)

Our second checkbox field:

Option 1 which was 2 on the old field (ticked)

Suggest an answer