How best to recover from an incorrect version merge?

Anthony Mastrean December 10, 2014

I merged a few internal dev-only versions (like "fall-release") to their actual release version (like "5.0")... but I picked the wrong target version. I can't undo that operation in bulk. Now I have a couple hundred tickets mixed with about a thousand tickets in the incorrect target version.

I was able to rescue about a hundred of them by looking for tickets in the incorrect version last updated by me. But, I didn't notice my mistake for about week, so I'm not the "last updated by" person on every ticket. JIRA warns that I can't do a history search on the last updated by field (like "WAS IN").

I can't do a history search for the original internal version because it's no longer in the list. JIRA seems to destroy the merged version completely. There's no sense recreating it, because it gets a new internal ID or something, so it's not considered the "same" version.

I can search through the History tab on every ticket in the incorrect version looking for the record of my version change and correct it, but that's going to take ages.

I started looking through my Activity Stream, but that's taking forever given that the changes were a week ago. Is there a more efficient view of this activity?

Anyone have any other advice?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

We have an integration with our CI server so that the successful build version gets recorded in any ticket referenced in a commit message from that build. So, I actually have a record of released versions! The original versions were all released, so I'm sure they all have build versions.

I was able to construct a query like

fixVersion IN ("spring-release", "fall-release") AND ("Build Version" ~ "4.0*" OR "Build Version" ~ "5.0*")

I think this is going to help me out. I'm sorry it's not generic, but maybe it's not a bad idea to create a similar integration smile

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 10, 2014

Maybe try this?

fixVersion = "New version" AND fixVersion WAS in ("Old version1", "Old version2")

The original version is deleted as part of the merge, so it's not allowed in a WAS IN clause :(

Suggest an answer