How automate the configuration of Jira

hanwenguo January 3, 2018

Hi,

I was wondering that if it is possible to automate the configuration of Jira (server version) after the installation.

The automation should cover the database, admin creation, and also extra plugin installation.

I have used the docker to create an image with some of my preference. Based on this image, I would like to build another image.

Many thanks.

2 answers

0 votes
hanwenguo January 3, 2018

For later part, you can use some shell scripting to add/modify dbconfig.xml by providing appropriate parameters

I have a dbconfig.xml and copy this one to the correct location in "/var/atlassian/application-data/jira/". With this, I assume that the Jira will recognise the database configuration, but it still ask me the DB configuration when accessing the web portal.

In addition, does some one know how to deal with the license for server version?

Many thanks.

Suhas P
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 4, 2018

Did you try ./stop-jira.sh and ./start-jira.sh commands after copying dbconfig.xml file?

0 votes
Suhas P
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 3, 2018

You can automate entire jira installation using reponse.var file. refer this https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver071/unattended-installation-855475683.html

For later part, you can use some shell scripting to add/modify dbconfig.xml by providing appropriate parameters. If you already have backup on the database, it will definitely has admin user. If its clean database, in that you may add a admin user by SQL command. (I am not sure about this part if this is advisable, but surely you should be able to add user).

Same way you can modify other files as well like serene.sh, server.xml etc...

Everything you can accommodate in a shell script including restart in the end to take effect of all changes.

Suggest an answer