How are the users count against the licence?

Patrik Karisch December 9, 2012

How are the users count against the licence in jira, stash, confluence and especially crowd? I'm using crowd as a SSO and want to use a internal crowd database for users of the customer. but only some of them (2 -5) should authenticate in jira and the other products. All other users created are only to assign the right reporter in for example in jira issues and support request.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 9, 2012

users that are in the group "jira-users" have the possibilty to login to jira.

for confluence it should be "confluence-users"

those count against your license.

so just add your 2-5 users to this group

C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 14, 2012
Isn't there a license section in administration too?
1 vote
JohnA
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 9, 2012

Hi Patrik,

Any user who can login to the application and perform actions in the instance is treated as a licensed user and counts against the license. The capability to assign a reporter in JIRA requires the permission to login to the application, so in that case each of the users you are referring to would require a login but they would have different permisisons in the application.

All the best,
John

Patrik Karisch December 9, 2012

Realy? I have tested this in a evaluation environment. The additional customer users are listed in the active users count of crowd, but are not allowed to login in the jira application (configured in crowd). He shows up and I can assign the customer as reporter to issues.

Where can I see the user count in JIRA? In System -> Licence is only a User Limit field.

C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 9, 2012

Administration/Users

you will see a line such like

Displaying users 1 to 20 of <someNumber>

Patrik Karisch December 14, 2012

"Displaying users 1 to 20 of <someNumber>"

Not really usefull, because the users, who can't login are also shown there. But are they counted against the jira licence?

C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 14, 2012
What about filtering "jira-users"?

Suggest an answer