How are issues sorted in "Issues in Epic"? Can I sort by issue type?

jOhn Simonson July 3, 2016

In an Epic there is a section "Issues in Epic" - apparently this is sorted by issue key (hence by submission date).

Is there a way to display this section sorted first by issue type, then by issue key?

Or better yet, dynamically by any sortable field?

-jOhn-

7 answers

5 votes
Alex Clatterbuck June 18, 2018

Arguably one of the most irritating pieces of the software.

Once you're above 20 tasks, and you're using an epic that spans multiple weeks, the view becomes completely unusable.  

What I want to see:

• Open tickets.  Moved closed into it's own section at the bottom.  
  • Breakout by sprint, similar to the view if I click 'Agile Board' (but clicking this link every time, and then waiting for it to load; explaining to rest of team how to make sense of this view)
  • Give actual weight to 'Priority' in some way.  E.g., sort automatically by priority 

Essentially the Epic and Epic Agile Board views need to be merged.  

4 votes
Mary Flynn March 30, 2020

This has been open since 2014. Please vote for it here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-40929. The ticket status says it needs enough community interest from unique domains before Atlassian will take a look at it.

2 votes
Michael Rarela June 5, 2019

Yeah, "Issues in this epic" on the Epic Detail page isn't the best.  I too want to add User Stories and more in an epic and then sort them.

Using "Rank to Top" is not a fun way to organize stories.

alissonfl January 10, 2020

I want too! 2020 and still nothing..

Like # people like this
1 vote
Riptide June 1, 2020

UI ability to simply sort child issues by priority would be immensely helpful.
Please add this asap!!

1 vote
Nick Kamau January 14, 2020

Guys, if you arrange the stories or tasks of an epic in the order you want on the JIRA agile board/backlog, the tickets will be displayed in the same order under the issues in Epic view.

Enjoy :)

Amanda Robinson February 7, 2020

A worthy suggestion but not quite a solution. This causes items to be displayed in the order of implementation, which in many cases is not how you'd like to "tell the story" in the epic itself.

Within different sprints I might be starting work in parallel on a few aspects of the epic, but within the Epic view I may want to show all the higher-level pieces at the top, independent of which sprint they'll be worked on. 

Like kleindevel likes this
Rufus Casey August 31, 2020

Hi Nick,

Thanks for helping out! I'd like to sort my " Issues in this epic" - please can you describe which screen/view I can do this from? 

2020-08-31_08-05-34.png

Sam Krishna December 3, 2020

Nope.  does not work.  Created a board and arranged issues in backlog by Priority and it looks just fine on backlog page.  but Epic still shows all the other lower priority issues because they were created before the higher priority ones.  No way to drag and drop issues within the epic either. 

0 votes
jOhn Simonson July 6, 2016

I was afraid of that.

"Rank" serves a different purpose. It would be quite cumbersome using the rank to "sort" by issue type, involving moving each and every issue around. One would also lose the relative ranking across issue types.

It seems to me that providing a means to "order by issue_type asc, rank asc" would/should be possible.

jOhn

0 votes
Andrea Carl
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 6, 2016

Not exactly what you want, but it can be done manually . . . On the action wheel you can "rank to top" or "rank to bottom."  Keep in mind this is the same rank used in sprint boards.

Suggest an answer