How an user account and ticket will be created in service desk without providing application access when an external user sends mail to helpdesk

Deleted user March 7, 2016

Hi,

I want to construct the following use cases.

1. One external user ( abc@yahoo.com) sends mail to helpdesk@ourdomain.com to create a ticket in a particular project.
  2. When he sends mail  an user account will be created in our JIRA User Directory.
  3. He is also notified by mail about the ticket creation and user account creation.

Now when that external user (abc@yahoo.com) send mail to our helpdesk (helpdesk@ourdomain.com), it is received in the particular Mail Box Folder but unable to create ticket and when we check the  incoming mail handler and click on TEST it shows  "" ....Cannot create issue due to invalid license: [Sorry, you can't create any issues right now, as you need to have access to a JIRA application to be able to create issues. To gain application access you need to be a member of a group assigned to an application.]...""

I have also checked catalina.out log it showing the following messages.

"Sender is anonymous, no default reporter specified and creating users is set to false (or external user management is enabled). Message rejected."

"There are no default applications configured, new users are not assigned to any groups therefore they can not create issues. Please visit Application Access page for more information."

To resolve this error I have provide the default application access (JIRA Service Desk) to new user, so that when a new user will be created he can access the JIRA Service Desk application be selecting "Set defaults for new users" tab in Application Access Link.

By doing so my above mention issue is resolved. But that external user now have the agent permission. He can create/browse any issue in any project.

Now my question is that it is possible that when an external user sends mail to helpdesk his account will be created in our JIRA User Directory and ticket also created but I don't want to provide the application access to that user, so that he don't have any permission to browse/create issues in other projects.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance..

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Deleted user March 9, 2016

Hello Nic @Nic Brough [Adaptavist]

Today morning again I repeat all the steps, now I found a different error in logs :

The Return Date Is ---------------------------------> 2016-03-14
The Return Date Is ---------------------------------> 2016-02-29
The Return Date Is ---------------------------------> 2016-03-14
2016-03-10 01:32:54,553 ajp-nio-10009-exec-2 WARN jroy 92x19925x3 1ngk58u 203.200.160.27 /rest/projects/1.0/project/ETS/lastVisited [c.atlassian.ozymandias.SafePluginPointAccess] A LinkageError indicates that plugin code was compiled with outdated versions. Unable to run plugin code because of 'java.lang.NoSuchMethodError - com.atlassian.jira.project.browse.BrowseContext.getUser()Lcom/atlassian/crowd/embedded/api/User;'.
2016-03-10 01:32:54,559 ajp-nio-10009-exec-1 WARN jroy 92x19924x2 1ngk58u 203.200.160.27 /rest/projects/1.0/project/ETS/lastVisited [c.atlassian.ozymandias.SafePluginPointAccess] A LinkageError indicates that plugin code was compiled with outdated versions. Unable to run plugin code because of 'java.lang.NoSuchMethodError - com.atlassian.jira.project.browse.BrowseContext.getUser()Lcom/atlassian/crowd/embedded/api/User;'.

can you please suggest on this

0 votes
Analytics8 Support December 5, 2018

I too have same kind of problem. when the external user (abc@gmail.com) send mail to our support(support@ourdomain.com), it is received in the particular Mail Box Folder (rules set on to move mails to folder) but unable to create ticket and when we check the  incoming mail handler and click on TEST it shows  "" ....Cannot create issue due to invalid license: [Sorry, you can't create any issues right now, as you need to have access to a JIRA application to be able to create issues. To gain application access you need to be a member of a group assigned to an application.]...""

but when user send mail directly to inbox of support mail id, it's create JIRA ticket. User has appropriate access to the application.

Any help would be appreciated.

0 votes
Deleted user March 7, 2016

@Cathy RivardHello, Thanks for the reply. regarding request security the permissions same as above and regarding Email request we have configure the mailbox access too.but same problem.

@Nic Brough [Adaptavist] Thanks for the reply, The email handler is working fine, no issues on that but still When I am trying to send the mail, unable to create the user saying that :

Cannot create issue due to invalid license: [Sorry, you can't create any issues right now, as you need to have access to a JIRA application to be able to create issues. To gain application access you need to be a member of a group assigned to an application.]

as soon I giving the permission to application access , it create the user, but license being used .

I want the the external user will send the mail, and a new user will be created in JIra Internal directory, and the user can only login and can see the issues what he raised without any license, like customer login.  

Is there anywhere else I need to change for customer portal or anywhere else. Please Help

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 8, 2016

I think you've missed the point in the document - your handler is not routing through the service desk, it is trying to create standard issues in JIRA.

Deleted user March 9, 2016

Hello Nic,

Thanks for the reply..

I have read your instructions,

What steps I have followed are mentioned below

1st In my Jira service desk already in the section Incoming mail is configured :

1. Incoming Mail

POP / IMAP Mail Servers

Below that

2. mail handler was also setup for the respective project.

As suggested I have deleted both the configurations ,

image2016-3-9 20:23:18.png

Now, after that ,

1. Enable public signup

image2016-3-9 20:26:22.png

2. Request security from the respective Service desk project

image2016-3-9 20:27:33.png

3. Request types:

image2016-3-9 20:31:2.png

4. Email settings:

image2016-3-9 20:35:13.png

then

image2016-3-9 20:46:54.png

image2016-3-9 20:47:40.png

So I have configured whatever being written :

so after configured everything , when I browse from the Jira administration --> Applications--> left side --> Email settings are there -->

Service desk project name beside the Email address is there, request type is mentioned, as soon I click on Test showing "

No problems found with email settings configuration.

Successfully connected to the specified email server. "

image2016-3-9 20:38:50.png

all these are configured, Still the problem is same user creation is not performed that means handler is not routing through the service desk Email settings :

When I send a mail to the mail address I configured, the user creation not performed. In the logs error was showing that

you need mail handler for this.

2016-03-09 02:00:05,091 Caesium-1-1 ERROR anonymous     Service Desk [c.a.mail.incoming.mailfetcherservice]  Service Desk[10500]: There are no default applications configured, new users are not assigned to any groups therefore th

Is that mandatory that I have to remove Incoming mail part ?

I have checked both settings both keeping the incoming mail part and deleted . 

Is there is any others options I have to do,

Need to mention that the Outgoing mail configure is enabled. I haven't changed in outgoing mail part. 

Can You Please please help....

Thanks

0 votes
Cathy Rivard March 7, 2016

I think you should be able to accomplish this with the Service Desk Project Settings. With just these 2 settings, our users can have an account created automatically by sending an email to our support portal. They have "Restricted Portal" only access when their account is created this way.

Request security:

JSD Setup 1.jpg

Email requests:

JSD Setup 2.jpg

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 7, 2016

Also, have a read through https://confluence.atlassian.com/servicedeskserver031/receiving-requests-by-email-802164772.html to ensure you get all the handlers right.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events