How Post Function To Transition -> Clear Field Value or Update Issue Custom Field to 'None' works in Jira

Manjunatha K R January 17, 2017

Hi,

I have created one custom field "Impacted sub-systems" i,e Select List (multiple choices).

But while creating a ticket user might update this value sometimes but not mandatory.

It's default value is set to 'None' by default in Jira.

But I want to clear/purge this value updated, as part of the post function in my workflow.

I am not sure if it's not set means with default value 'None', if I use the below post functions how it works??

1) Add Post Function To Transition -> Clear Field Value OR

2) Add Post Function To Transition -> Update Issue Custom Field to "None"

I want to make sure it should not break my production workflow by adding this condition.

If this field value is updated by ticket creater means, anyway it will clear the values updated in it using these options. Please suggest how these functionalities works.

• Manju

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 17, 2017

>its default value is set to 'none'

Ah, ok, that's not quite true.  None is the word JIRA displays to the user to say "there is no data selected yet".  It's not a selection, it's telling the user they haven't select anything.

If you put post functions on a transition to set or clear it, it will overwrite what the user enters, so you should either not use post-functions, OR remove the field from the transition screen so that they are not asked for a value that will then be overwritten.

When you want to empty out a field, I find it is better to use "clear field value", so that it's clear to other administrators what you have one

Manjunatha K R January 17, 2017

Thanks for the clarification Nic.

In case, if user has not set any values to this custom field while creating the ticket and If I tried to use the "clear field value" in one of the transition post function - is it OK?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 17, 2017

The "clear field value" will empty out the field, whatever the previous content.  It's fine to clear out an already empty field.

Ajay Prasad July 19, 2018

My post function on issue creation of setting the assignee to default (which is unassigned in the project setting) is not working. The assignee picked by the creator is retained.

The post function I am using is setting the assignee field to Default

Any help will be much appreciated.

manoj kumar July 28, 2022

Did you get any help on this? I want a post function to clear my assignee field (default should be unassigned field)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 28, 2022

Er, use the clear field value, as above.

Suggest an answer