How JIRA Updates Issues from Email

anfield leung July 23, 2014

Hello,

I would like to know how does Jira (version 4.2.4) link up to existing issue with incoming email if the email subject didn't contain the issue key.

Found that: JIRA will inspect the header of the mail to find the "In-Reply-To" value, then attempts to link it to the message.

Does anyone can explain in detail how it works?

Thank you!!

2 answers

0 votes
anfield leung August 12, 2014

Anybody can explain how it works exactly about the "In-Reply-To" part mentioned in the link below?

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/How+JIRA+Updates+Issues+from+Email

0 votes
MJ
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 27, 2014

The JIRA mail handlers at all times require an issue-key in the subject in order for a comment to that issue to get added. If no issue-key is present, a new issue will get created (assuming a mail handler has been configured to create new issues as well).

Though I am not exactly certain, I believe the JIRA Enterprise Mail Handler might have additional funcitonality which could enable issue commenting where the issue-key is absent from the subject. I would expect the issue key requires to be present anywhere else in the mail in order for JEMH to be able to process it. JEHM however is a 3rd party plugin, please refer to their documentation and/or developer for more details on this.

anfield leung July 28, 2014

Thank Mick. Knowing that JEMH might be able to help but we would not considering it at the moment for some reason.

I am asking this question because we found that even the issue-key is absent, most of the email is able to meger into the original issue as a comment , however, not 100%. So I would like to know exactly how's it works. Might not need a workaround at this stage, but I have to explain to user why it works sometime but sometime didn't.

There should be something related to "in-reply-to" helps to link up the issue

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/How+JIRA+Updates+Issues+from+Email

anfield leung August 3, 2014

Anybody can help? Thank you.

Suggest an answer