How/In What Order does ScriptRunner parse validators?

S.V December 5, 2017

Hello,

I am a non-programmer currently writing scripts for my company's JIRA processes using ScriptRunner. 

I have a number of Validators on a transition from one issue state to another. Originally, I thought they executed in order, so I put the most general validator on top, and other validators that check for specific issue types in if statements below them. I then realized that error codes for these simple script validators below the general ones were showing up instead of the topmost validator, which should be catching those issues.

I added an if statement that ORs all the issue types involved, and this solved the problem, but I'm afraid I don't understand how or why this works.

How do ScriptRunner Validators execute? Does it go by issue, or does the shortest loop execute first?

Thanks

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 5, 2017

Validators run when a user clicks either the transition button (assuming no screen is there) or the "complete transition" button on a transition screen. 

They run in the order you add them to the workflow transition.  Oddly, it does still run all of them, even if the first one fails, but it's easiest to think of it running the lot and reporting the first problem.

S.V December 6, 2017

Okay, so they all run. I was wondering if that was the case when validators below the one I intended to execute were running. I guess with the if statement my script catches all the cases and prevents the other scripts from throwing errors first.

Thank you

Suggest an answer