How I show issues with more than 2 sprints in Roadmap View

Guilherme Bragatte May 13, 2022

Hi  everyone, 

We have some issues in our Scrum project that takes more than 1 sprint to complete. But the roadmap view only shows the "last" sprint, where the issue was completed. 

Is there a way to show the bar for this issue in all sprints?

I've made a poor draft to illustrate. The green bar is what I want to show. 

Captura de tela 2022-05-13 120111.png

This is how the field sprint for this issue is filled:

Captura de tela 2022-05-13 120243 22.png

1 answer

1 vote
Andy Rusnak
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 16, 2022
Hi Guilherme,

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

What you are seeing with the Roadmap view is expected behavior. Epics (which are larger blocks of work) can span multiple sprints, however tasks, user stories, bugs etc. that are added to a sprint are expected to be completed within that sprint. If the issue is not completed, it can be moved to another sprint and it will show in the Roadmap view in the sprint where it was completed. Only Epics can span multiple sprints in the Roadmap view.

This is done as one of the principles of scrum is that there will be a deliverable at the end of each sprint. The individual issues completed within that sprint will equate to the deliverable produced at the end of the sprint. So if the issue wasn't completed and it was moved to another sprint it wasn't a deliverable produced from the initial sprint and won't be represented as so on the Roadmap view. Instead it will be represented on the Roadmap view in the sprint where it was completed.

It may be possible to leverage Advanced Roadmaps to stretch an issue across multiple sprints. Advanced Roadmaps does provide a bit more granularity to the starting and ending dates of specific issues within a plan/roadmap.

Does that help to answer your question? If not I would be happy to discuss further.

Best,
Andy
Guilherme Bragatte May 19, 2022

Hi Andy! 

Thanks for your time! yeah, that's help. We realize that, ideally, we should end stories in 1 sprint but, nevertheless we still evolving in our agile maturity and this is not a true for every issue (yet, we hope). 

Then, I come to ask here more for a confirmation that I was not missing any configuration that allowed us to do this.  

Thanks again 

Guilherme 

Andy Rusnak
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 19, 2022

Happy to help Guilherme!  Best of luck on your agile journey and certainly if you have any other questions or run into any issues, please let us know.  We are always here to help.  

Best, 

Andy

Like Guilherme Bragatte likes this

Suggest an answer