How Do you add an impediment to a user story or task?

Veronica Stewart March 20, 2012

I want to be able to add an impediment to an existing user story or task and assign it out to the responsible party. I also want it to clearly show what stories/tasks have impediments that need to be addressed in order to resume working.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 20, 2012

Two of the more common solutions

1. Create sub-tasks
  2. Use links with a name like "blocked by"

With both of those, you can do some blocking code too

1. There's a function "sub task blocking" that you can add to workflow "conditions" which essentially work out as "if this parent issue have sub-tasks in status other than closed or resolved, then do not allow this transition"
  2. Similarly for links, there's at least two plugins providing "if linked issues open, disallow resolve/close of this issue"

There are probably other solutions around, but these are the only ones I've used. They both have strengths and weaknesses, you'll need to pick the more suitable option for yourself (e.g. subtasks show on their parent issue display)

Veronica Stewart December 26, 2012

It would be really nice if we can create an impediment from the rapid board that is glaring at you like the red paper we use on our physical boards.

vitaliy zapolskyy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 13, 2016
Rohan Bhokardankar July 2, 2017

Flagging is really cool !

Elaine Cawthorne July 12, 2019

we want to use the impediment flag for blocked items - is it possible to force the user to set up a description of why its blocked when they set the flag? we have that set up for when they move the task to blocked but it was set up by a consultant but I'm not sure how he did it!

Deleted user October 8, 2019

The simplest way is to right click the issue and mark is with a Flag and add a comment to determine the impediment. 

This means that you can use this JQL query to find flagged issues: Flagged = Impediment

1 vote
Caesar Padilla December 2, 2019

One thing to keep in mind is that an impediment normally impacts more than one user story.

The more practical way to go about it, is to create an "Impediment" work item and attach a label indicating which user stories are being impacted by it. This way you will be able to create a query to track the whole impact of the impediment.

Suggest an answer