How Do I reopen a task?

Bill Keenan June 19, 2012

I've looked and looked. I can't change the status, or the resolution.

It was closed by accident, and it looks like I'm going to have to re-create it? That seems mad..

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
howard tiersky June 20, 2012

yes exactly. you need to create a transition from closed to whatever open status you want to be able to go to ( some people create a status called "reopened" and others just go back to a status like "in progress" or whatever.

And then check the permissions to be sure the right people have permission to "reopen" the task and you should be able to do it no prob.

Do you know how to make those workflow edits? Let me know if you have other questions.

Bill Keenan June 20, 2012

That worked a charm, a bit fussy with having to create a new scheme etc.. to get the new workflow assigned. But were flying now!

howard tiersky June 20, 2012

super, glad to hear it! Yeah to really undesrtand schemes you have to have an extra lobe attached to your brain. But once you do that they make tons of sense ;)

0 votes
Oleg Raginskiy January 28, 2020

Hi Howard,

I have similar problem and I am new to JIRA.

Any opportunity to get one on one session to understand steps advised.

Our project is locked down and I might not have access to configuration functionality you suggested.

Please let me know.

Thank you,

0 votes
howard tiersky June 19, 2012

All depends on your workflow and your individual permissions. You certainly can design workflows where tasks can be re-opened (we have this in ours). Are you the administrator of your Jira instance?

Bill Keenan June 20, 2012

I am yes, do i need to add a step to the workflow to allow fixing mistaken closes?

Suggest an answer