How Do I Set A Transition Condition To Be Executed By the Project Lead?

Jim Pickering June 12, 2012

Every Project has a 'Project Lead' assigned. But 'Project Lead' doesn't appear in the Roles Browser, and in the Workflow Designer, when setting a Transition Condition, I cannot select a Project Role of Project Lead to execute the transition. How can I set such a Condition for the Project Lead to execute the transition?

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 12, 2012

It's not a "role", it's a dynamic setting, like assignee or reporter.

You'll need to write or script a condition to use it directly. Or, hang the condition off a permission (like "can administer project") and then make sure the project lead has that permission.

Jim Pickering June 12, 2012

In the Add Condition to Transition screen, there are options for: Only Assigned Condition, and Only Reporter Condition, but nothing like Only Project Lead Condition. I find that odd, since Assignee and Reporter are just like Project Lead - dynamic settings, as you say.

I see the 'Permission Condition' option too, and I can make that work per your suggestion; although not exactly what I was after, since other Project roles also have the Administer Project permission, who I don't necessarily want to execute this specific transition.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 12, 2012

I've seen code for a "only project lead" condition, but my memory fails me on where I saw it!

It is mildly annoying, but I've a habit of granting project lead administrate rights and then using that. Not ideal if you want a tighter definition of what a project lead does. Another trick might be to grant a "useless" permission if you have one - like "delete own worklog" when there's no work log enabled in the project.

2 votes
neil1967 October 7, 2012

Yes, that it wouldn't be an option. Easiest workaround: Create a project role of Project Lead and then, whenever you assign the user to the built-in Project Lead, make that person the same for your own Project Lead role. Then, in Conditions you can select User in Project Role and choose Project Lead.

Stinks that you have to manage it in two places instead of one, but better that than writing a script, IMHO

2 votes
neil1967 October 7, 2012

typical jira stupidity. sorry, bitter and frustrated developer sick of the neverending queue of obvious omissions like this one.

0 votes
Valentijn Scholten
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 16, 2012

I need this also, but it's not in the default conditions shipped with JIRA.

I created https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-28975 for this.

Suggest an answer