How Do I Set A Parent Task to Transition With The Last Sub-Task Moved?

Josh Oxendale November 16, 2017

Hello,

My team regularly have parent tasks with 4/5 sub-tasks. We need the parent task to transition alongside the final sub-task through each transition stage. (Probably butchered that explanation.)

We currently have a Post Function that transitions the Parent Task with the Sub-Task but it moves with whichever Sub-Task is moved first, always leaving the other 3/4 sub-tasks in the previous status. 

In addition to this, the Parent Task will only move with the sub task into one status and not the following one, even though they both have the correct post function enabled? The only difference between the two statuses is that the second stature required a screen to be completed before the Task can be moved, would this impact it? If so, is there a work around?

I'm relatively new to Jira, especially the Administration side, so any advice or help would be most appreciated.

Many thanks,

Joshua

Test Board Example.JPGTransition Post Function.JPG

1 answer

0 votes
Mahtab
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 20, 2017

Hello Joshua, 

To achieve this, you would need to use a plugin. Assuming this is for Jira Server, one plugin is:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.innovalog.jmwe.jira-misc-workflow-extensions/server/overview

Regrads,

Mahtab

Josh Oxendale November 22, 2017

Hello Mahtab,

Thank you for your response.

We are currently using this plugin, however there is still an issue with moving from In Progress to Ready For QA. It seems that it will not automatically update and transition the "Time Spent" field on the parent task. It also appears that the parent task does not want to move during this transition at all, even though I've input a similar post-function on a different transition screen that works correctly.

Do you have any idea as to why this is the case?

Many thanks,

Joshua

Suggest an answer