How Customer can create a new project?

Jira Import April 21, 2014

Hi All,

What I need: We have a Customer who add projects to our Jira OnDemand and then can track it comment etc. but don't see projects which are in a different permision schemes.

What I have now: Our Customer account can login and work with projects which are associated to this permision scheme. Thats is very nice but Customer can not create any new project which is very important for me. How we can do it?

2 answers

0 votes
Daniel Wester
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 21, 2014
What's a project to you? Is it a JIRA project or an issue?

This is Jira Project. I thought that we can do it in one Jira Project and then They add some tasks etc. But we work a lot together and in time there can be a mess.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 21, 2014

You can't - only Administrators can create projects, and I assume you don't want to give your customers admin rights.

In the past, I've set up a project to hold "project cretion requests" for the admins to monitor, and for one client, automated it with a post-function that could create projects.

@Nic: So how we can solve it? My Customer/Partner is also IT Company and we work a lot together so this is pretty important for us.

I had an idea that our Partner order own Jira OnDemand and maybe there is some solution which allows to exchange projects. So They create one and somehow send it to us... Is it possible?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 21, 2014

You really can't solve it at the moment. To create projects, you have to have admin rights. To import projects from exported data, you have to have admin rights.

The best you can do is start setting up some form of two-way integration between their Jira and yours.

However, this doesn't sound like the right approach to me - it feels like there's no need to set up hundreds of projects, your admins should create the ones you actually need and then give your partner full access to those. It doesn't sound right to have a partner having the ability to create projcts in your Jira without your oversight.

Suggest an answer