How Can I to Improve JIRA Notifications to Make Them Really Actionable?

pcondal January 23, 2015

I find JIRA email notifications not really actionable as a stand alone item.  Most often than not, I have to go through the overhead of actually entering JIRA to see the full context because I only see the last comment in the email, which rarely is enough to react to it.

My preferred notification behavior would be:

1. When I receive a JIRA notification, see in the email the Description and the Comments sorted from recent to old.
  2. Be able to reply to the notification email with 3 simple actions: a) Reply a comment b) assign to somebody else and c) change the issue status.

My JIRA is a Server JIRA.

How could I configure things to achieve these behaviors for notifications?

Josep.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 23, 2015

For the first one, hack the email templates - the provided ones are generic, and Atlassian almost expect you to hack them.  They are the only part of JIRA Atlassian will still fully support you with when you hack the core code.  See https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Customizing+Email+Content  There's a request out there for a proper editor in the UI for them, but we're not there yet.  I think there's a couple of plugins that try to do it as well, maybe worth a look in the marketplace.

For the second one, you will need to find/write a new incoming "email handler" that can recognise your instructional data and deal with it appropriately.  Of course, a lot of people need it, and my first port of call on that has been the JEMH at https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.javahollic.jira.jemh-ui for many many years (I've written two simple email handlers for very specific unusual cases, and pointed everyone else at the JEMH as it's far better than my little bits of code)

Suggest an answer