How Can I Write My Own New Report In Jira

OptionSystems August 19, 2012

Hi Jira Users,

Any ideas / suggestions etc

Question1 - How Can I Write My Own New Report In Jira - Is there anything available that allows me to do this ?

Question2 - I am linking an Issue to say 5 other issues. How can I print out / email the main issue and some details of each of the Linked Issues ?

Any thoughts / Suggestions ?

Thanks - Grant

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 19, 2012

1. You need to do some coding - write a plugin to do the report you need. You could look at plugins that might do what you need instead of writing your own, or even a reporting tool that goes into the database for you. However, none of those options are going to work for you - you've said you're using OnDemand, and that won't let you install anything.

2. I don't think you can do that without plugins either. I've had some luck using the "velocity" fields in the Jira Toolkit plugin (which is in OnDemand) to show issue data, but that functionality has been removed from the later versions of it. I've replaced it with my own dedicated code.

Hi Nic,

I note : Earns a living tinkering with Jira.

Not sure of the Jira rules - Not sure your rules

Could you write the report for me ?

Obviously a cost would be involved

Let me know your brief thoughts

Thanks - Grant

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 19, 2012

My current clients are keeping me very busy at the moment, I'm not sure I'd have much time. However, if you were to explain your reporting needs here, someone may already have a plugin that does what you want. If I'm aware of anything that might help you, I'll certainly point it out.

The rules for OnDemand plugins are at https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AOD/Atlassian+OnDemand+Plugin+Policy - note that any pointers or bespoke code we might have for you can't be installed in OnDemand at the moment, so you might be on a hiding to nowhere.

If you do decide to host your own Jira, or use another hosting company who are more flexible around plugins, AND we can't find you a plugin to help, then consider looking for a partner at http://www.atlassian.com/resources/experts - some of them are also hosting companies

Basically you are saying if I am using OnDemand

Then I cannot get Any New Report written for me

Thanks - Grant

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 19, 2012

Correct - that's what the docs say.

Atlassian are working on loosening the restrictions, but I don't know how much or when it might happen.

Thanks For Your Help

PS - Just AMAZING you cannot write a report in the Year 2012

PS - Understand nothing to with you

Thansk For Your Help

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 19, 2012

That's the point - no software enables you to write a report natively. The ones where you *think* you can have reporting software on the outside, or internal implementations. That's extra code. Atlassian have concentrated on making it usable rather than random ad-hoc reporting which may not make a lot of sense (I've seen some wonderful reports done with reporting tools on Jira data that have been utterly misleading and useless because ad-hoc reports tend to mean humans write the reports they *think* they want, and they're often wrong).

If you think you need a report, it's often worth questioning why it's not available in the application already...

0 votes
Midori
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 16, 2016

Use the PDF View Plugin to create a PDF from the main issue and the linked ones, using a custom template. The template allows you to specify what fields, details to show about the main issue and also about the linked ones. This is far easier than writing a custom report add-on for the use case.

Then use the PDF Automation Plugin to email this automatically for you.

This combo can work miracles in use case like yours!

Suggest an answer