Hour estimates converted to days

jobin abraham August 7, 2014

Hi,

I am trying to add original estimate and remaining estimate as 48h which is equivalent to 3 story points.This value is getting converted to 1w1d. I m doing this in the planning mode while story is in the backlog.Please suggest.

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 7, 2014

What do you mean "add estimates together" and "equivalent to"? What calculated field are you using, what is the mathematics you have entered to try do this, and most importantly, what is the actual mathematics you are really aiming for?

Zack Sheffield August 8, 2014

Under Settings->System->Time Tracking you can configure the manner in which estimates are displayed... you are currently seeing the "pretty" option, which is converting your 48h into 6 working days, or 1 week and 1 day. You can play with all of the options under Time Tracking to get it to work the way you want. Personally I usually just keep everything in hours.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 8, 2014

I think the problem here is we don't know what Jobin is calculating or expecting it to do - there's certainly no relationship between story points and time built into Jira, so that needs explaining as well as the expectations!

jobin abraham August 8, 2014

Hi,

So our process is such that

1 story pt = 16 hrs

1 working day = 8 hrs

If we plan for a story for 3 story points the original estimate for time tracking should be 48 hours

We have a 6 working day per week in our organisation which I have added to jira.

48hr should show up as 6 days or 1w instead of 1w1d.

This is the first thing. Secondly i would like to keep every thing in hours. Is there a way to do that?

Thanks in advance and let me know if any more explainations are required.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 8, 2014

Ok, that helps me understand it. You're effectively double entering an estimate - once in time and once in story points. (Not wonderfully efficient, but that's not the question here. I'd be tempted to remove the estimate field from issue create and script a post-function to set it from the Story Points entered. Or vice-versa)

My suspicion is you've got the time tracking set incorrectly though. The defaults in there are 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. If you change it to 6 days a week (Admin -> Time tracking), then 48h should come out as 1 week

In the same screen, you can turn off "pretty" displays of time, and choose days or hours. If you do that, I'd recommend changing the default unit to hours as well.

Suggest an answer