History and subtasks estimates

Veruska Pérez Guerrero October 11, 2016

The behavior that I would like to have in my project is that each "History" may have sub-tasks for each component and these subtasks can move independently within the Kanban board.

I also would like that the estimates of the subtasks join the main "History". That is, if I counted 4h for Android, 3 for iOS and 2 for Back Office to fulfill a “History”, this should have a total estimate of 9h. Is this possible?

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 11, 2016

A sub-task does move through its own workflow, which does mean they're independent.  But, the point of sub-tasks is that they are part of a parent, so the board does attempt to show you that relationship.

Estimates for issues do roll up from sub-tasks too.  But, they only do it in "plain" JIRA, and it's purely a display of the sums.  JIRA Software does not roll data up from sub-tasks, it considers each piece independently of its parent.  You need to do some coding to make it work, but it seems to be impossible to get a standard approach agreed across all the users who have asked for this.

Suggest an answer