Hiding custom fields using Behaviours plugin or Script Runner

Michael Dreusicke January 29, 2015

Hi all,

We have a requirement to hide custom fields from a certain group of JIRA users.
I have read the long discussion on why Atlassian will not implement this as a feature, and I was really hopeful that the Behaviours plugin can do this until we hit bulk editing issues.

I am hoping that someone can help to confirm a few things:

1. Is it true that hiding custom fields using Behaviours plugin will disable bulk edit (or bulk move in our case) for all issues across all projects? If yes, does anyone has a work-around? Because this is what we are experiencing now even after mapping the behaviour only to some projects and issue types.
  2. I can't seem to find the hiding custom fields feature in Script Runner (which replaces Behaviours plugin), is it true that this feature is not part of Script Runner?
  3. Do you know which other plugin or safe method that can achieve this requirement? We're aware of the Field Security Plugin, however we're trying to avoid it due to the complexity of its installation (& hence maintenance), as well as its limited support of other plugins.

Thank you for your time!

1 answer

0 votes
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 29, 2015

Is it true that hiding custom fields using Behaviours plugin will disable bulk edit (or bulk move in our case) for all issues across all projects?

No, it will disable inline edit for fields where the behaviour is applied. Inline edit is completely different from bulk edit. Behaviours doesn't work with bulk edit, which is why you need to back up behaviours with validators if security is an issue. Behaviours should be used to "guide" users, rather than enforce.

I can't seem to find the hiding custom fields feature in Script Runner (which replaces Behaviours plugin), is it true that this feature is not part of Script Runner?

It doesn't replace it, it is merged with it. All the behaviours stuff is in Script Runner.

Behaviours should work with bulk edit if you create fields of type "Hidden Text Field" and so on... but that feature needs a lot of love and I don't really recommend its usage right at the moment.

Sorry I can't really help with alternatives, I have never tested anything else that has this feature, but I just wanted to clear up some of these misconceptions.

Michael Dreusicke January 29, 2015

Hi Jamie, Thanks for your swift respond and sorry for my misunderstanding regarding the Behaviour plugin being replaced by Script Runner (I get it now that it's more of: "incorporated" rather than "replaced"). Yes we're using the custom field with the type of Hidden Text Field and it is breaking bulk edit for all projects in our installation (even projects that are not associated with the Hidden Text Field). The error message points to java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke method getValidators() on null object and multiple lines points to the hidden field e.g. : at com.onresolve.jira.behaviours.customfields.AbstractHideableCFType.isHidden(AbstractHideableCFType.groovy:42) I think I will raise an issue at your issue tracker, hopefully you'll have time to look at it and have an idea what went wrong. Thanks!

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 29, 2015

yes, this is the love I was referring to... I hope I will have time to fix it but not sure exactly when.

Suggest an answer