Hide users from reporters list when creating JIRA issue

Alaine Pabayos April 20, 2014

We are trying to cleanup our user database by making the retired users unsearchable in the assignee field and reporters field. Since some of these users have created issues and dashboards and deleting them is not an option for us.

As previously read, we have already removed the necessary groups and roles the users belong to. However, upon testing, we saw that the issue can still be set to these users as the reporter (when Modify Reporter is on). Please let us know what other configuration needs to be done in order to completely hide these users. Thanks!

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 20, 2014
To be a reporter, the permission scheme must be granting them "issue create" somehow. Similarly, to appear on the assignee list, they have "can be assigned". Check your permission scheme carefully, you are missing something. Although... You say "necessary groups and roles". Necessary might not be good enough, you probably want to remove them from all. Everything. They should be in no groups or roles, completely.
Alaine Pabayos April 20, 2014

Hi Nic,

My fault for the wrong choice of words. The user actually doesn't have any more roles nor in any groups but still appears in the reporters list when modifying a reporter field. The permission scheme was already checked and confirmed that the user doesn't belong to any of the roles or groups so we would to know what else did we miss. We are using JIRA 4.2.3.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 20, 2014

Ok, so what exactly do you have in the permission scheme for "create issue"?

Alaine Pabayos April 21, 2014

We have four customized roles under the create issue permission scheme and the user is not part of any of these roles now.

Project Role (Risk Management Department)
Project Role (General Manager )
Project Role (Division Head)
Project Role (Incident Reporters)

Alaine Pabayos April 27, 2014

Any comment on this problem? Or is this a known bug in JIRA 4.2.1?

0 votes
Sara Wajnberg February 4, 2015

Hi Alaine, did you ever find out the answer to this? We are having a similar problem where users are showing up when we modify reporter that do not have Create Issue permissions. 

Alaine Pabayos February 4, 2015

Hi Sarah, the behavior is still the same even with the latest major version (we are using only 6.1.4 though) I am not sure if this was fixed in the latest minor version

0 votes
Alaine Pabayos May 1, 2014

I guess this is not answerable? I will then revert to the atlassian support site. Thank you for your help.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 27, 2014
Sorry, missed your response. The role settings are good, but can you now list who is in the roles in that project? Both users and groups?
Alaine Pabayos April 27, 2014

Hi Nic,

We only assign user IDs to the roles. We don't assign groups under roles. Since this is individual information, we cannot share it outside of our institution. But I have checked it already and confirmed that the user is not under any of these roles anymore. Any other advice?

Suggest an answer