Hide subtasks only from "active sprints" view

Ryan Silva April 14, 2015

I've seen a few questions about hiding subtasks but they don't seem to apply to me.

I want to track the progress of stories in the "active sprints" view, so I organize the swimlanes by epic.  But we use subtasks as containers to track hours and other to-do items, and I don't want to see the subtasks under "active sprints", just the story.

The only way I could think to do this was to edit the board query to show only standard issue types. This works but then the burndown chart also excludes the time logged on the subtasks, which is equally bad for us.

The reason we use subtasks is to make estimates and log hours.  Here's one example story:

• (Story) User must be able to discard unsaved changes (Total estimate: 2d 4h)
    • (Subtask) DEV: Implement discard button (1d)
    • (Subtask) DEV: Unit tests (4h)
    • (Subtask) QA: Test discard button (1d)

When the feature is ready to test, the story will be set to "Resolved" but dev will log hours on their subtasks.  Using this structure we wouldn't want to see these subtasks on the "active sprints" board, we just want to see that the story is ready for test.

Is this possible or is there a better way to structure this?

2 answers

0 votes
Customer Marketing November 5, 2019

Did you resolve this?

If not then you should just be able to add a quick filter (issuetype != Sub-task) to hid ethe subtasks.

You may also want to remove swimlanes to make it a cleaner view.

Gautam De October 13, 2020

This worked. Thanks.

0 votes
mojbrady May 29, 2015

Hi Ryan

I managed to do this in the Query filter for the board:

goto Configure > General > Edit Query Filter

Use the drop duwn for filtering our issue types (sub task and task) and save.

result is a simplified view in the active sprint view, you wont see the subtasks in the list.

Ryan Silva May 29, 2015

I believe this is roughly the same as what I did, if you do this then estimates on tasks won't be included in the burndown chart.

Suggest an answer