Hide projects from users

Albert Mkhitarian October 25, 2016

Hello,

I'd like to know how I as a manager can hide some projects from some users? I didn't find those options. Please, help me.

2 answers

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 25, 2016

As Nic says, you need to remove permission. JIRA works on the grant permission model. There is no deny permission option. Many people put the jira-users group in the permission scheme which gives everyone who can logon whatever permission the group is put in. That route leads to issues like this. That group should only be used if you are absolutely sure you will ALWAYS want everyone to have that permission, which is seldom the case. 

Vick Ghadimian March 10, 2018

ok, so I created a new group.. how do I configure the settings of my group?

The UI of Jira, or atlassian products in general are not very intuitive.

Like # people like this
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 12, 2018

You don't configure setting on the group. You configure the PERMISSION SCHEME. As Nic and I said, you need to FIRST remove any group that has logon permissions from the permission scheme. Then add the new group to the permissions you want. This may require having more than one permission scheme. 

I use project roles so I can have just one permission scheme. There may be roles some projects don't use, but I find in the long run it is easier to manage JIRA as a whole. It also allows project leads to add/delete users from the roles instead of needing JIRA admins to add/delete group membership. 

When you created the group did you give it logon rights? If so, any new user created will automatically be put in the group (built in behavior) so you'll soon have more people accessing your project that you don't want to. 

Katherine Burkholder May 20, 2019

This is all too complicated. Why can't we just have a simple option (checkbox) to hide a project from view when selecting projects from the issues screen? Just have it be visible in the main master projects list, but hide the project and its boards from the issues screens? 

Like # people like this
Sekhar Chandra August 20, 2019

@Joe Pitt 

"When you created the group did you give it logon rights?".

How to do this?

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 25, 2016

You need to remove them from whatever role, group or setting that is granting them "browse project" permission in the permission scheme for that project.

Suggest an answer