Hide projects and issues

Chamil Rupasinghe June 29, 2016

We are working on 4 projects with different users, how to hide the project and issues to the user who are not working on the particular project. 

7 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 29, 2016

JIRA works on the allow model of access. You've probably given access to a group, like jira-users, they belong to. I suggest using project roles and assigning users to the role needed in each project.

Team role or project role?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 29, 2016

What do you mean by "team role" and "project role"?

Look at the project admin for "roles".

I added the project role and removed the group in the "browse" permission once I did this, all the projects hid from the JIRA to users. There is another option called team role

Like Nataliia Melnykova likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 29, 2016

I suspect your "team role" is just a role that you have added.

For the "projects hid" part of it, please re-read the answer I gave before.  You've misunderstood it.

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 30, 2016

I did a google search and found the Tempo Team plugin gives you team roles. That isn't part of the base product. To work in JIRA you need to stop thinking about 'hiding' things. There is no way to hid in JIRA. You chose to allow access. Thinking that way will make it easier to figure out how to do what you want.

Like Nataliia Melnykova likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 30, 2016

Ah.  Right, so an admin added an add-on that adds team role.  Gottit.

Joe is absolutely spot-on here - stop thinking in terms of "hide" and think in terms of "allow access to".  It will help you much more.

Chamil Rupasinghe June 30, 2016

I added all the developers to developer role under "Project Role Browser" and set the project role in "browse" permission, but still, every developer can see all the projects and issues which do not have any involvements of them. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 30, 2016

Again, please have a look at the previous answers, the reasons people can see everything are given in them, along with what you need to do about it.

2 votes
Katherine Burkholder May 20, 2019

This is all too complicated. Why can't we have a simple option to hide a project from view when selecting projects from the issues screen? Just have it be visible in the main master projects list, but hide the project and its boards from the issues screens? 

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 20, 2019

The simple answer is they didn't design it that way. The best practice security answer is you always grant permissions, not deny. 

Elio Maggini April 30, 2020

Sure....but I should be able to create a project and restrict it to certain users. Or create a group and restrict to that group. There is no obvious way to do this in Jira.

bhaueter December 19, 2020

I just want to remove/hide a completed project from the project list, I only want to 'see' projects that are active or projects that are waiting to be started, regardless of the 'role' of the user.  Seems like basic functionality... 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 19, 2020

It is basic functionality -  not granting people the right to see a project and its issues is pretty basic.

1 vote
Mamta Pandya June 29, 2016

Prasad, you can do it by roles or by groups. Its done via Permission Schemes - simply deny the "Browse" permission to the group or role you wish to exclude. 

We were not able to classify simply by role in our company, because of the sheer magnitude of people in the User role - who needed to be further classified for the project's permission scheme. So we created user groups - Default permission scheme was modified and it denied permission to everyone except a core group.

Individual project permission schemes were created - they allow permissions to specific groups of users who were given individual permissions within a project. We also have clients accessing our JIRA instance, with a greater need for customisation of permission schemes. For e.g. Client users may Browse and comment issues. But the Client approver is a single user who may edit issues, transition issues and link issues as well... etc.

How to create Individual project permission schemes?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 29, 2016

Got to admin -> issues -> permission schemes

Bear in mind if you do this with groups, you'll need to keep creating more schemes every time a project is created.  Roles are a far better approach, because you can use a small handful of well understood schemes, and easily change the users and groups in use in a project.  Roles can do everything groups can, and more and the groups in permission schemes are a nightmare to maintain, especially in larger systems.

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 29, 2016

You'll need to remove the users from any roles in the project, or groups in the system that give them "browse" permission (check the permission scheme to see what that says)

By default, JIRA tends to put the "can log in" group into projects, so you will probably find you have to go through your projects and remove the group "jira-users" from the roles, replacing it with the individuals or groups who should retain access.  I'd also recommend removing it from the  default roles, so new projects don't inherit it automatically.

0 votes
Anian Stäbler February 12, 2019

A follow up question on this topic: Is it possible hide projects / restrict the access for Jira admins or site admins?

We are working with several teams within one Jira instance and our IT support (= Jira admins) struggle with the spam of dozens of projects that are not relevant to them.

For the rest of the users we can easily limit the permissions but we have not found a solution for those admins...

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 13, 2019

You need to edit the permission schemes for each project, as described above.  The admins are getting "browse" somehow (usually you will find someone has granted "browse project" for the administrator group)

Like Anian Stäbler likes this
Anian Stäbler February 13, 2019

Hey @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- - Thank you very much. Exactly what I was looking for. Site admin can still see the projects but with a new permission scheme that contains no groups at all, the archived issues don't show any longer. 

0 votes
Chu Nguyen February 5, 2019

but how do it? Where step by step to customize per project. Please more clearly, thank!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 5, 2019

You need to edit the permission schemes for each project, as described above.

0 votes
Phyllis Stanek September 18, 2018

How do I restrict a small number of users to a project?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 18, 2018

You have to remove whatever is granting them access to the projects you do not want them to see, and then grant them access to what you do want them to see.

Suggest an answer