Hide all the field help texts from issue screens

Alessandro Tondo July 25, 2017

I've already found the workaround to hide specific field help texts from issue screens, e.g. https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/how-to-remove-the-start-typing-to-get-a-list-of-possible-matches-or-press-down-to-select-label-from-all-fields-779305894.html.

However, I'd like to remove all the description helps of all the fields and for all the screens. Is it possible or I must dig into all the `.desc` properties of `<JIRA-INSTALL>/atlassian-jira/WEB-INF/classes/com/atlassian/jira/web/action/JiraWebActionSupport.properties` and maybe similar files? 

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 26, 2017

Hi Alessandro,

You would need to modify each file manually per the How to remove the "Start typing to get a list of possible matches or press down to select" label from all fields knowledge base article:

This message is hard-coded in JIRA ...

From what I've seen in the past in and in my research you would need to find the references ending in .desc and remove those from the JiraWebActionSupport.properties file.  In addition, I have not run into any additonal files that need to be modified at this time.

I would be sure to backup this file before making modifications and if possible test the changes in a test instance so you can be aware of any impact it may have on your workflow.

Finally, you'll also want to be aware that these changes do not persist through an upgrade. If an upgrade on JIRA is performed, these changes will need to be re-applied.

Cheers,

Branden

Alessandro Tondo July 27, 2017

Thank you for clarifying, Branden!

Suggest an answer