Hide a project from end users but let IT staff create tickets on the end users' behalf

JJ November 5, 2019

I want to have a project hidden from end users so that they cannot see it in the portal and cannot create tickets in it (it's an internal IT project).

But I also want IT staff who have permissions to view the project to be able to create tickets on behalf of the end users who are locked out of the project (meaning that IT staff can set the end users as reporters in this internal project).

Then, if the end user goes to the customer portal they can see their own tickets, they just cannot create them.

Is this not possible?

1 answer

1 vote
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 5, 2019

You could consider hiding all request types from the portal. Just go to the request types screen and edit groups and remove all check marks for groups. 

JJ November 6, 2019

Then how would IT staff create those tickets? The only way I know to create tickets that are hidden is by email or by using the "create" button instead of the customer portal. I'm not wanting to do that though because we are going to have about 25 request types and if I use the "create" button I will have to create 25 issue types due to the fact that each request type has different fields. Am I missing something?

JJ November 8, 2019

Please answer the question above. Also, can we not raise tickets on the behalf of others, let them see the tickets while they're in the portal, but keep them from being able to create those tickets themselves?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 8, 2019

just because you hide a Request type from the portal does not mean the agent cannot create tickets using the "+" button. It just means that a Customer wouldn't see the option in the Portal. The agent would create a new issue and choose the correct Issuetype and you could expose the request type on the create screen and they could add the Request type associated w/ the issue type.

JJ November 8, 2019

I hid all the request types in the internal project and while logged in as an agent I clicked the plus "+" button in the left menu bar and there were no request types under that project. Just a message that says "There are no request types configured for this Service Desk."

JJ November 13, 2019

Do you mean use the "Create" button to create the ticket and not the "+" button?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 13, 2019

I meant the “+”. I was just testing and it worked. Here is what I did.

• request types all hidden
  • i create an issue in the project choosing the Issuetype of interest and one that has request types associated to it.
  • once issue is created I go into the issue detail view and change the “none” request type to one associated with the Issuetype

Suggest an answer