Hide Summary Field and Populate During Ticket Creation

Morgan July 10, 2013

The summary field is as far as I can tell impoosible to rename for a specific project. Given that I'm using a workflow that would result in my users being confused as to what they should do with the Summary field I would like to hide it. During creation I would then like to populate it based upon other fields.

How can I do this with JIRA 6? I've seen answers for JIRA 4 which didn't really help at all, the answer provided a javascript solution which I'm not certain where that configuration would go.

Ultimately I'm looking to rename the summary field, but because I can't I'm making an attempt to work around the issue but every idea seems to be met with road blocks.

5 answers

1 vote
Ullink September 23, 2015

Hi Everybody,

We have a working solution for this (at least in JIRA 6.3.12) using Javascript injection and ScriptRunner postfunction you can hide the summary field and populate it with a calculated value:

1. Add a scriptrunner postfunction in the "create" (after the "Creates the issue originally" step):

import com.atlassian.jira.issue.Issue
    import com.atlassian.jira.issue.CustomFieldManager
    import com.atlassian.jira.issue.fields.CustomField
    import com.atlassian.jira.user.ApplicationUsers
    import com.atlassian.jira.event.type.EventDispatchOption
    import com.atlassian.jira.component.ComponentAccessor
    CustomFieldManager customFieldManager = ComponentAccessor.getCustomFieldManager();
    CustomField customField = customFieldManager.getCustomFieldObjectByName("First name");
    String firstName = issue.getCustomFieldValue(customField)!=null?issue.getCustomFieldValue(customField).toString():"";
    customField = customFieldManager.getCustomFieldObjectByName("Last name");
    String lastName = issue.getCustomFieldValue(customField)!=null?issue.getCustomFieldValue(customField).toString():"";
    customField = customFieldManager.getCustomFieldObjectByName("Office");
    String office = issue.getCustomFieldValue(customField)!=null?issue.getCustomFieldValue(customField).toString():"";
    customField = customFieldManager.getCustomFieldObjectByName("Arrival date");
    String arrivalDate = issue.getCustomFieldValue(customField)!=null?issue.getCustomFieldValue(customField).toString():"";
    issue.summary = "Newcomer - "+firstName+" "+lastName+" - "+office+" - "+arrivalDate.substring(0,10)
    def user = ApplicationUsers.toDirectoryUser(ComponentAccessor.jiraAuthenticationContext?.getUser())
    issueManager = ComponentAccessor.getIssueManager()
    issueManager.updateIssue(user, issue, EventDispatchOption.DO_NOT_DISPATCH, false)

2. In the Field Configuration add in description of the Summary field the following javascript code:

<div id="summaryNewCommer">
        <script type="text/javascript">
            (function($) {
                AJS.toInit(function() {

var currentUrl = window.location.href;
                    if (currentUrl.indexOf('/secure/admin/') == -1) {
                        AJS.$("#summaryNewCommer").parent().parent().hide();
                        jQuery("#create-issue-submit").click(function() {
                            var summary_value = "temp";
                            jQuery("input#summary").val(summary_value);
                        });
                    }
                })
                JIRA.bind(JIRA.Events.NEW_CONTENT_ADDED, function(e, context, reason ) {

var currentUrl = window.location.href;
                    if (currentUrl.indexOf('/secure/admin/') == -1 && reason != 'inlineEditStarted') {
                        var $context = AJS.$(context);
                        jQuery("input#summary").val('');
                        $context.find("#summaryNewCommer").parent().parent().hide();
                        jQuery("#create-issue-submit").click(function() {
                            var summary_value = "temp";
                        });
                    }
                });
            })(AJS.$);
        </script>
    </div>

1 vote
RambanamP
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 10, 2013

you can use the following simple JavaScript to hide summary field and the other field value to it

jQuery(document).ready(function($) {
	JIRA.bind(JIRA.Events.NEW_CONTENT_ADDED, function (e,context) {
		callSummaryFunction();
	});
	callSummaryFunction();

function callSummaryFunction(){
	var issueTypeCreate = $("#issuetype-field").val();
		var issueTypeVal = $("#type-val").text();
		var issuetype=$.trim(issueTypeVal);		
		if((issuetype != null && issuetype === "Bug") || (issueTypeCreate != null && issueTypeCreate === "Bug")){				
			$('#summary').closest('div.field-group').hide();
			var testField=document.getElementById('customfield_13786');
			$(testField).change(function(){		
				$("#summary").val($("#customfield_13786 option:selected").text());					
			});
		}

}
});
</script>

Sascha Ziemann February 26, 2020

Entering quoted html (<) does not work.

0 votes
Trevor Vella February 6, 2016

Francois SERGOT that worked like a treat for me on JIRA v6.4.1.  Only thing I had to do to get the scriptrunner postfunction script to compile was to ensure the following statement was changed from:

issue.summary = "Newcomer - "+firstName+" "+lastName+" - "+office+" - "+arrivalDate.substring(0,10)

to

def issue.summary = "Newcomer - "+firstName+" "+lastName+" - "+office+" - "+arrivalDate.substring(0,10)

I had to insert a 'def" keyword in front of the statement and all was good after that.

In much appreciation,

Trevor 

0 votes
Paul Pasler
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 10, 2013

You can create a customField and "Inject" JavaScript there (Not nice, but works). Simple name it "NoSummaryField" and paste your JS in the customField description. Now you can add it to your createIssue Mask.

</div>
  jQuery("label:contains('NoSummaryField')").parent().hide();
  jQuery("input#summary").parent().hide();

jQuery("#create-issue-submit").click(function(){

// TODO: fetch ur summary value here
    var summary_value = "TEST";

});
</script>
<div>

Worked for me on JIRA 6.0.2

John Wright October 22, 2014

In JIRA 6.3.7, JavaScript doesn't appear to work within field descriptions. It gets converted to text (html entities).

Like Sascha Ziemann likes this
0 votes
Harry Chan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 10, 2013

The JavaScript would go in the description of the field in a field configuration of the project. Probably the best way to do it. You can achieve similar results with the Behavior Plugin also but again requires a bit scripting.

Suggest an answer