Hide Jira defult fields from issue page

krasalexander April 27, 2013

I have custom issue type and create screen scehe with two screens:

• screen for create issue;
  • screen for edit and view issue.

But all default Jira params are still diplayed on issue page... such as: Priority, Resolution, Affects Version/s and etc.

They are absent on my issue view screen, but it doesn't influence them in my case. How can I hide them?

Thanks for help!

7 answers

3 votes
Chaithra N
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 27, 2013

hi,

In the Field Config Scheme hide the required fields.

Refer - https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Specifying+Field+Behaviour for more details.

2 votes
MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 6, 2017

Be warned that hiding Priority can break the default queries for each project. And hiding Fix Versions will break the roadmap/release notes functionality

Veve July 12, 2017

What I'm trying to remove is the "Affects version/s" field, which shouldn't break anything. I actually want to keep it in bugs, but nowhere else.

I only have one Field configuration, and in that the field is listed only for "bug" screens. The other issue types do hav other screen configurations. And the field still shows up everywhere.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 12, 2017

You need two field configurations - the one you currently have, which shows it, and a second one that hides affects version/s

Then you need one field configuration scheme which tells the project to use the one with the "show" for bugs, and the "hide" scheme for all the other issue types.

Veve July 12, 2017

Wow, that did it! Thanks a lot.

2 votes
Alex Perez
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 29, 2013

Hi krasalexander,

Fields are shown in this screen if they are included in the "view screen"or are defined visible.

The Field Configuration Scheme used in your project defines which fields are shown or hidden, and which ones are optional or required.

Clone the Field configuration Scheme used in your project in order to not affect other projects, and edit it to hide all the fields you don't want to see in the view screen nor issue browser.

HTH

1 vote
zulki yusoff October 20, 2013

I tried this, and it works;

<script language="JavaScript">

function hideUnwantedField()

{

var isIssuePage = AJS.$('#issue-content');

if (isIssuePage.length != 0)

{

AJS.$(".name:contains('Labels:')").parent().hide();

AJS.$(".name:contains('Resolution:')").parent().hide();

AJS.$(".name:contains('Priority:')").parent().hide();

AJS.$(".name:contains('Type:')").parent().hide();

}

}

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 20, 2013

As a general rule, you should avoid using javascript, and try to do it in Jira config. This question can certainly be done in the config.

Javascript has to be retested on every single upgrade and often rewritten, and if you use it a lot, you quickly find it starts to fail as one use starts to interfere with others.

sharvan singh December 2, 2014

where to write java script code in jira? can you explain it?

zulki yusoff December 2, 2014

Sharvan singh - you can copy paste above script into the banner section. However just like Nic said it is not advisable to use alot of custom scripting as the upgrade may cause problem in compatibility.

Kota Sreenivasa Shravana Kumar March 6, 2017

The above java script is not working for JIRA 7.2.1. After setting the above script in banner, JIRA goes blank.

Can any one advise or share, How to hide the system fields ( for example : Resolved ) using JIRA configuration or customization. or provide the compatible script if any available to set via banner.

Thanks !

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 6, 2017

As suggested before - javascript is the worst possible way to do this, and you've walked straight into one of the reasons why.

You should hide the fields with field configurations if you're not using them.  Resolution is a field that you always use though.  Always.  Whether you want to or not.

Kota Sreenivasa Shravana Kumar March 6, 2017

Thanks NIc for quick response. I agree that javascript may not be the right approach.

Can you let me know, How this can be achieved using JIRA configuration ? Hiding the custom field is pretty straight forward.

I am interested in hiding the system fields using JIRA configuration. Thanks

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 6, 2017

Please re-read the second paragraph of my previous comment.

John O'Brien March 15, 2017

Gentlemen please,

Why does noboday just say it out straight: it is NOT POSSIBLE to hide certain fields such as "status" and "resolution" using the standard configuration methods of JIRA i.e. Field Configuration Schemes or Screens. The displaying of these fields cannot be influenced by the project or JIRA administrator.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 15, 2017

The original answer, in 2013, did.  It seems to have gone.

0 votes
Carmen Bullock November 5, 2018

Thank you John. I was looking for the same answer. I can't find a way to remove the priority field off of the parent screen or case.

0 votes
RS April 27, 2013

To add or remove fields from your custom screens go to:

From the Administration screen, click on "Issues" > "Screens"

Locate your custom screen and click "Configure"

From there you can add, remove, and redorder the fields for that screen.

-rick

krasalexander April 27, 2013

I have tried it, - these fields (priority, affected and etc.) are absent on the screen, which is cofnigured for issue view.

John O'Brien March 15, 2017

KrasAlaexander,

nobody seems to be reading your question properly.

I wanted to do this also when I started using JIRA. Like me, you have not included these fields on any of your screens, yet they are showing up when viewing an issue. That is because these fields are displayed separately by JIRA or independently of how you configure your project. You can define screens, screen schemes and field configuraitons etc. all you like. Unfortunately these have no influence on certain standard fields such as Resoluiton and Status. Sorry, but you cannot hide these fields using the normal methods.

Like # people like this
Veve July 12, 2017

John, thanks a lot, your answer is the one I was looking for (even though I'm not sure if krasalexander is still looking for it).

0 votes
Nadir MEZIANI
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 27, 2013

Hi,

This link can help you to know more for Configuring Fields and Screens

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA043/Configuring+Fields+and+Screens

Suggest an answer