Hide Agile tab?

Jürgen Hauser February 14, 2014

It is already hard enough to get customers to use a bug tracker, so it is essential to ensure that the UI is clear and only contains what is needed. All I want is for a customer to have a create issue button and his Project. All the rest should not be visible (Dashboard, Agile, Capture) I can not find any option to hide these tab, where is the setting?

8 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Jürgen Hauser February 15, 2014

Btw, I am using a (very ugly I admit!) "hack" to get around this. I am using the announcement banner to inject some javascript and hide stuff.

<script type="text/javascript">
AJS.$(function() {

function getCurrentUserName()
{
    var user;
     AJS.$.ajax({
        url: "/rest/gadget/1.0/currentUser",
        type: 'get',
        dataType: 'json',
        async: false,
        success: function(data) {
            user = data.username;
        }
     });
     return user;
}

function getGroups(user)
{
    var groups;
    AJS.$.ajax({
        url: "/rest/api/2/user?username="+user+"&expand=groups",
        type: 'get',
        dataType: 'json',
        async: false,
        success: function(data) {
        groups = data.groups.items;
    } 
});
return groups;
}

function isUserInGroup(user, group){
    var groups = getGroups(user);
    for (i = 0; i < groups.length; i++){
         if (groups[i].name == group){
              return true;
         }
    }
    return false;
}
var user = getCurrentUserName();
if(typeof user == 'undefined') 
{
    //alert(AJS.$.fn.jquery);
    AJS.$('.aui-nav').hide();

}
else if (!isUserInGroup(user, 'jira-users'))
{
    AJS.$("a[title='Manage your project with JIRA Agile']").hide();
    AJS.$('#bonfire_top_menu_dropdown').hide();
    AJS.$('#system-help-menu').hide();
    AJS.$('#greenhopper-my-jira-home-set').hide();
    AJS.$('#upm-requests-link').hide();
}
    AJS.$('#footer').hide();
});
</script>

bmacdonald05 July 7, 2014

Doesnt work for Zephyr?

I am also using javascript via the announcement banner to hide certain menu items.

Do you know why it is successful for all items apart from zephyr, ID: zephyr_je.topnav.tests.

Thanks,

Ben

3 votes
Konstantin Ivanov August 20, 2014

>Hide Agile tab?

This solution works for me on server install (Linux(v6.3.3#6331)):

1. Go to Plugin management

2. expand modules

3. disable these items:

Planning Board Menu Item (greenhopper_menu)
Planning Board Menu Item(greenhopper_menu_no_project)

p.s. only solves "a tab" issue. Keep in mind this change works for everybody, users who need the boards will have to use direct link like "http://your_JIRA_IP:port/secure/ManageRapidViews.jspa".

Roman Samorodov
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 24, 2016

Best answer!!!

Thank you ^ _ ^

Also you can disable Agile side panel from issue view screen and Agile Board option from the More drop-down

1 vote
Felipe Palma Dias December 28, 2014

Hi. I disabled the plugin "JIRA Agile Marketing Plugin". My JIRA version is 6.3.12

1 vote

@Nic,

I see, well, in large IT departments with lots of different developer groups, I agree, Jira makes a whole lot of sense. If you're a company that creates webplications for customers, who (obviously) are involved sooner or later, not so much. I am not hating on jira, just surprised that (out of the box) it is unable to allow this (let's be honest here!) very common use case to be realized.

Yes, I can have 100 developers split among 10 groups and 30 projects and handle it all just fine with jira, but 5 developers, a team of 20 testers, and a few customers who would also like to report bugs (using a clutter free UI)...not so much? Instead, the answer is, to purchase another product? Really? If you can not see the flaw (from a customers point of view) here...Not trying to be dogmatic!

Either way, I appreciate your input Nic (and @Kinto), but I think we can agree to disagree and move on ;-)

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 14, 2014

The whole point of an issue tracker is that your users see the same thing. Mostly. There's a good argument for certain types of user to see a much simplified interface. This is NOT what Jira was designed for at it's core, but...

Have you tried the Service Desk?

Hello Nic,

First, thanks for your reply!

I could not disagree more with you about users seeing the same thing. In fact, unless all your users are developers, why would you want to?

If I were to present our marketing department with jira as is, and ask them to please go ahead and report bugs, well, there would be no reporting, it is as simple as that. Not to mention all the other departments. There is a HUGE difference between a standard reporter and a developer.

To be honest, I am completely baffled that the simplest of usecases turns out to be a nightmare to accomplish.

Developer Team <-> Customer (departments), where the Developer Team gets to enjoy all the great whistles and bells, but the customer gets a clutter free, nice and easy to use UI to report and follow up on bugs, NOTHING ELSE. Nobody in marketing, sales or controlling cares one iota about Dashboards, Agile, or the marketplace (what the hell is that menu item doing in every users menu anyway?!?).

There is a lot of controversial stuff going on in jira, on the one hand, it is not possible (out of the box) to present a simple, clean UI for the reporter, but on the other hand jira can be configured to create tickets from mail? Huh?

I had a look at service desk, I will give it a try and see if I can accomplish my use case with it.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 15, 2014

I think you're missing the history of the product.

It's an issue tracker, designed for developers and intended for sharing information that encourage them to work together. You don't do that by hiding views.

It was not written for Marketing, Sales or Pointy-haired bosses, it was written for poeple who need a lot of information sharing, and those who understand computing. The Agile plugin makes it even more fussy because it's an additional set of ways of looking at it and doing things.

It's grown so that lots of other people find uses for it, and yes, there's often a need to simplify it for people who don't grasp the concept that they could just look at the bits they need.

And that's why Service Desk arrived - it's aimed at the organisations who have ended up using it for helpdesk type stuff.

Pablo Beltran
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 15, 2014

I would say Jürgen is right. JIRA is enough flexible and Agile (among other add-ons) could support this feature without much problems.

It's quite frequent that companies share the same JIRA instance with different user group types (end users and developers). For instance, I've developed the Subversion ALM add-on and some users asked me for hidding the Subversion menu under some circumstances which is pretty easy to implement (and it has a lot of sense)

Do not you want ot see those menus? Then purchase Service Desk!.

it's folly.

0 votes
dchisholm November 23, 2014

The javascript solution works, but the Agile menu is visible on the initial page load before dissappearing.

Another method is to change the Condition class used to control the menu.  It's found in the atlassian-plugin.xml file:

<web-item key="greenhopper_menu" i18n-name-key="gh.boards.planningwebitem" section="system.top.navigation.bar" weight="40"><description key="Main menu item"/><label key="Agile"/><tooltip key="gh.menu.greenhopperdesc"/><link linkId="greenhopper_menu"><![CDATA[/secure/GreenHopper.jspa]]></link><condition class="com.pyxis.greenhopper.jira.conditions.CanCreateBoardCondition"/></web-item>

You can replace the CanCreateBoardCondition with your own class or replace the implementation of CanCreateBoardCondition.  In either case the new class has to be inserted into the jar file.  The method interface to implement is https://docs.atlassian.com/jira/latest/com/atlassian/jira/plugin/webfragment/conditions/AbstractWebCondition.html#shouldDisplay(com.atlassian.jira.user.ApplicationUser, com.atlassian.jira.plugin.webfragment.model.JiraHelper).

The main benefits of replacing this Condition is that (1) the Agile menu item does not visibly hide itself and (2) you can put custom permission logic in your Condition.

0 votes
bmacdonald05 July 7, 2014

Doesnt work for Zephyr?

I am also using javascript via the announcement banner to hide certain menu items.

Does anyone know why it is successful for all items apart from zephyr, ID: zephyr_je.topnav.tests.

Thanks,

Ben

0 votes

Hello Nic,

First, thanks for your reply!

I could not disagree more with you about users seeing the same thing. In fact, unless all your users are developers, why would you want to?

If I were to present our marketing department with jira as is, and ask them to please go ahead and report bugs, well, there would be no reporting, it is as simple as that. Not to mention all the other departments. There is a HUGE difference between a standard reporter and a developer.

To be honest, I am completely baffled that the simplest of usecases turns out to be a nightmare to accomplish.

Developer Team <-> Customer (departments), where the Developer Team gets to enjoy all the great whistles and bells, but the customer gets a clutter free, nice and easy to use UI to report and follow up on bugs, NOTHING ELSE. Nobody in marketing, sales or controlling cares one iota about Dashboards, Agile, or the marketplace (what the hell is that menu item doing in every users menu anyway?!?).

There is a lot of controversial stuff going on in jira, on the one hand, it is not possible (out of the box) to present a simple, clean UI for the reporter, but on the other hand jira can be configured to create tickets from mail? Huh?

I had a look at service desk, I will give it a try and see if I can accomplish my use case with it.

Suggest an answer