Hi all. Can you add workflow steps/buttons to the issue view screen?

Audra Bonacki March 10, 2017

4 answers

0 votes
Jero Gonzalez June 30, 2022

You could do it in a "hacky" way with Jira Automations.

Trigger - Issue Updated

Condition - Certain Field updated to certain Value that you define

Action - Issue is transitioned (to the backlog in this case)

0 votes
Taylor Braun-Jones October 13, 2017

We have the same question. Is this not possible to configure in the current version of JIRA? Are the plans on the roadmap to add this functionality? It would really speed up backlog wrangling for us.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 13, 2017

No, it's not, because backlog is not generally the place to move issues through the workflow.

PPTim October 17, 2019

My team regularly moves issues through the workflow, and it would be amazing to have this feature. A typical backlog prioritization sees us jumping between the backlog view and the workflow view way too much.

Like # people like this
geoff December 5, 2019

Agree, opening the detail page one at a time for each item you want to resolve or close or whatever takes forever, i can hear my team audibly sigh as I click through all the pages to have access to workflow transition buttons, to finally resolve them.

Dragging things around on the board only works when you have perfect column/state alignment. But who does? We have a dozen states, obviously it's not viable to have that many columns.

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- , curious why it is considered wrong to change an item's status from the backlog - that seems like not hearing what your users actually want to do? 

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 8, 2019

A backlog issue, is, by definition, something that might need attention that you have not looked at properly.  I'm not saying you won't look at it properly, or that you won't refine it, but your backlog really is just a list of stuff you might consider as "stuff that might need doing".   Things you do do with backlog items are

• evaluate them to see if they could or (more importantly) should be done
  • size them
  • add more information to them
  • link them to other things because that gives more information about them
  • talk about them for all the other reasons

What's the point in changing the status of a backlog item?  Until there is a positive decision that you are either going to work on them or shut them down completely, there's no good reason for a change of status. 

If you're going to work on them, then add them to the sprint.  No status change.

If you are going to kill them, that is when, yes, a change of status is useful in the backlog, but you really should be opening them up and transitioning to "done" with a full analysis of why you're not going to do it

I can't see any reason to change the status from the backlog.

0 votes
Audra Bonacki March 10, 2017

Hi, we're looking to add them to the Issue Detail view on the Backlog screen. There's an ellipsis on the top right and we'd like to add the workflow steps in that drop down rather than having to choose "more actions", then choosing from another drop down, workflow and choosing a step.

geoff December 5, 2019

Agree, going through the ellipsis takes forever, i can hear my team audibly sigh as I click through all the pages to get to the workflow transition.  

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 10, 2017
amanda.wilson February 25, 2022

Can I have more than one action have the same opsbar-sequence value? 

Like approve and reject?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 25, 2022

Yes, Jira will go back to ordering those two by the default order.

Suggest an answer