• Community
  • Products
  • Jira Software
  • Questions
  • Hi. I have jira admin access. How to assign tasks to a story and an epic at the same time, so that it is visible in an active sprint workflow, and still be able to move every single task through statuses. Thank you in advance for your help.

Hi. I have jira admin access. How to assign tasks to a story and an epic at the same time, so that it is visible in an active sprint workflow, and still be able to move every single task through statuses. Thank you in advance for your help.

Anna Jadach February 1, 2017

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 2, 2017

You can't do this, if I understand the question correctly.

The heirarchy for JIRA Software is basically

Epic -> Story level -> Sub-task level

Issues at a story level can belong to Epics (but don't have to).  Sub-tasks belong to a single parent, but that parent can be a story level issue, or an Epic.  But as they can only belong to one, you can't have a sub-task that belongs to an Epic and a Story.  (If you could, you could easily completely break your data, having a sub-task that belongs to a story that belongs to an Epic that isn't the one the sub-task is co-located on).

The implication is that a sub-task belongs to a story, and because of that ownership, when the story is in an Epic, all of its subtasks are in the epic too.

Suggest an answer