Hi, I have been playing around with the trial version and need to do a feasibility study for my Company

sid pan October 19, 2014

My Questions are:

1) How do I delete/Edit an existing field in Test Cases. e.g. For priority I want field values as High Low and Medium. So either I can delete the older one and create a new field or edit the existing one. Not sure how to do this.

2) If I modify fields like Priority(above), will it affect the priority field that Is there in the raised issues.(I want to edit fields only for the Test Cases)

3)Where can I access all the test cases that exist for a project?

4) Can I have a directory structure for the tests:

e.g.

Component1-

-------------------Type1

------------------------TC1

------------------------TC2

-------------------Type2

------------------------TC1

------------------------TC2

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 19, 2014

You'll need to explain what "Test Cases" are here, as they could have special functions created by addons.

On the assumption that they are NOT tied to an addon, and they are just basic JIRA issue types:

1) Fields belong to issue types - you can just delete custom fields from the system and it will vanish.   System fields (such as priority) cannot be removed, but you can use "field configuration" to hide them completely from an issue type/project

2) I assume this is more about the values of priority.  The way list type fields work is they have a list of options and all the issues using them have a pointer to the options.  So if you rename an option, it takes immediate affect and all your issues display the new value.  If you delete an option, it is stripped from the system, all issues.  If you disable an option, it can't be selected any more, but existing data is preserved.

Priority is a global list though - it's fine to have high/medium/low as the options, but that will apply to ALL issues in ALL projects.

3) Search for "issuetype = test case"

4) No.  Components belong to projects and are tags for issues within the project

sid pan October 19, 2014

Thanks Nic for the quick response. I should have made my question clearer. I have installed a Jira Instance on my system, and added the Zephyr add-on to it.Now I am trying to migrate test cases from Quality Centre to Jira. So I used a tool to export TC's to Excel. Now while importing these tests into Jira, I need to make sure that the same fields are available in Jira with similar values. Thats why I wanted to delete some of the default fields. Also I wanted these changes to be only visible for Test Cases and not for the normal bugs that we track in Jira. Will this be possible?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 19, 2014

Mmm, well, priority is a system field, global and hence what I said above applies. Same for the other system fields - you'll be able to hide them though. All the custom fields - yes, you can tie them to just the issue types you want them to appear for (i.e. test cases)

sid pan October 19, 2014

Thanks,One more thing, if you have seen any such migrations from QC to Jira earlier can you suggest any optimum solution, cause we are facing a lot of issues even when migrating as less as 300 test cases.

Suggest an answer