Help with syntax for scripted field

Susan Hauth _Jira Queen_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 21, 2014

I'm using Jamie's wonderful script runner but I'm not a coder and can't seem to get by the nulpointerexception.

So far I have this:

def urgency = getCustomFieldValue("Urgency")
def complexity = getCustomFieldValue("Complexity")
def need = getCustomFieldValue("Need")
def effort = getCustomFieldValue("Effort")
def result = (effort * complexity) / (urgency * need)
return result

Those 4 custom fields are all numeric and so is my script field (as well as the template and searcher are all set up as numeric).

I guess I need some sort of test to ensure that all of those numbers are not null before trying to do the calculation or else return null?

Can someone give me the code I need? Thanks...

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 22, 2014

Does the error only happen when one of them is zero? You also need to handle the case of them being zero, as well as null.

Try something like the following, if it doesn't work can you post the stack trace...

def urgency = getCustomFieldValue("Urgency") ?: 0
def complexity = getCustomFieldValue("Complexity") ?: 0
def need = getCustomFieldValue("Need") ?: 0
def effort = getCustomFieldValue("Effort") ?: 0
if (urgency > 0 && need > 0) {
    return (effort * complexity) / (urgency * need)
}
else {
    return 0 // or some very high number
}

Susan Hauth _Jira Queen_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 22, 2014

Hi,

Well it didn't blow up so that's a positive step forward. But it calculated 0 where it should have calculated 2.25 for the test issue. effort = 3, complexity =3 , urgency =2, need =2

;-)

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 22, 2014

Hrmmm... are the names exactly as you have them above?

Susan Hauth _Jira Queen_
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 22, 2014

Ah...yes, one of the field names was not a duplicate of another type of field, so I have modified and it works like a charm! Thanks very, very much Jamie.

Suggest an answer