Help with planning versions in JIRA

Neal Culiner
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 12, 2014

Hello,

We LOVE JIRA! One area we struggle with is planning future versions. We use the agile tools and use sprints, and presently we load the "Fixed Version(s)" field to put the version an issue is "planned" for as well as fixed for when the issue is resolved. As the owner/stakeholder, I'm not thrilled with using the "Fixed Version" field as I'd rather that just be used for resolving an issue.

We really would love to have a GUI that we can drag cards as an example to different lanes that represent different versions. I've researched and it seems that Atlassian recommends the sprints as the tool for this, that would be okay IF we could have multiple sprints horizontally (vertical list) above the backlog. Then we can drag issues right/left across versions for better planning.

Does anyone know of an add-on or a system that would help us do more visual planning of versions instead of using the Fixed Version(s) field?

Thank you.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Andy Nguyen
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 13, 2014

Hi Neal,

If I'm not mistaken, what you want is already available in Plan mode of Scrum board. You can create multiple sprints above the backlog (click Create Sprint) and drag issues to different versions for planning purpose. Notice that the Fix Version/s field of an issue will be updated after you drop it to a corresponding version:

Cheers,

Andy

Neal Culiner
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 14, 2014

Thanks Andy - I'm familiar with that for sprint planning, it's not the greatest layout. I'd prefer the versions to be across the top in lanes just like when in a sprint and you have the three columns to drag issues across. It would be a nice planning board to have selected versions at the top in vertical lanes, each version next to each other in columns, backlog below, then you can place issues in desired versions for release planning.

Andy Nguyen
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 14, 2014

Hi Neal,

I think I understand your desire now. However, we currently do not have that layout and I don't think some plugin will do. I know each team would have its desired way of planning tasks but, to some extent, the current layout is really doing its work. Highly appreciate your understanding.

All the best,

Andy

Martin Connolly June 14, 2016

I have exactly the same need and am shocked that JIRA or an add-on does not have a viable option for this.

I regard that screenshot as the worst, most unhelpful  screen in JIRA

0 votes
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 12, 2014

You can try http://www.tempoplugin.com/products/tempo-planner/

workin' only with JIRA 6.x onwards

Neal Culiner
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 12, 2014

We use JIRA's latest at all times. We do have tempo planner installed but it's for resource (people) planning AFAIK and not for project/version planning such as placing issues to versions.

Suggest an answer