Help upgrading.

James Haswell December 28, 2013

I'm working with a custom installation of Jira nd confluence in a WAR setup. I'd like to try and get them installed in a non-WAR setup if possible. I'm running on a test server copy of the production server. The first issue I'm running into is that I can't get the export function to work. After a few minutes I get an out of momory related error. I've tried upping the mempry in the startup script to 2G and it still doesn't work. Any ideas? If that *doesn't* work, how should I go about upgrading using a mysqldump?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

James

2 answers

0 votes
Taiwo Akindele
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 2, 2014

If you're still getting an out of memory error when you try to export XML perhaps you should give your JIRA instance a little more memory.

However according to the upgrade paths in the page I gave you previously you should be able to perform a direct upgrade from 4.3 (i.e. you don't even need the backup). You can simply run the JIRA 6+ standalone installation package, it would give you an option to select upgrading an existing installation. Select your existing 4.3.3, and the installer will take care of the rest. Please follow all the backup steps(backup your JIRA home, database and modified files) in the documentation in case you run into any further difficulty.

By the way James, regarding SQL dump, did you try my previous suggestion of importing your dump into a new database using your native database tools and then configuring a fresh installation of JIRA 6 to use this new database? How did it go?

0 votes
Taiwo Akindele
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 29, 2013

First it's important we know what version you are upgrading from and to.

In some cases, you may be able to complete an upgrade by pointing a standalone installation to a copy or restored SQL dump of your WAR installation database and then starting up. JIRA would automatically detect an older version database and run the tasks to upgrade the database. Ofcourse this is not recommended depending on the version you're upgrading from due to major schema changes accross versions.

Always have backups of your database, data directories etc. and test every upgrade attempt/method on a test installation... as a precautionary measure, so that you always have rollback alternatives.

You can have an overview of what upgrade methods are available to your case using: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/upgrading+jira

James Haswell December 31, 2013

I've tried to follow some of the upgrade docs (as linked) without any sucess as of yet, mainly due to the fact that I can't get the xml export to work, and I can't seem to find upgrade instructions involving a mysqldump.

Jira is currently 4.3.3, upgrading to 6.0.8

Confluence is 3.1.2 not sure which version we're upgrading to yet.

installed on debian with mysql.

Suggest an answer