Help needed setting up a filter to be immediately notified of new JIRA tickets

Ian Walker November 8, 2018

How can I set up a filter for a JIRA board so that when a new ticket is created and added to the board a group of JIRA users is emailed about this immediately?

I have this JQL:

project = MyJIRA AND created = now()

Will this notify me via email the exact moment a ticket is added to the MyJIRA board? 

I can only see 15 minutes as the most frequent timespan for email subscription alerts.  There doesn't seem to be an 'Immediately' option, so I am not sure exactly how to do this.

How can I also make sure not to get emailed over and over (i.e. every 15 minutes) with the same list of new bugs?

Or is it possible to edit the ticket creation workflow, so that when a new ticket is created a specific user that I specify is immediately emailed?  If so,how can I do that instead? I looked at the workflow settings of my board and I cannot find a way to send an email alert to members I specify when a certain workflow event occurs, in this case, ticket creation.

Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

Ian

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
shetty
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 8, 2018

Hi,

you can edit notification scheme, add members(whom you want to notify about issue created) to one group and assign it to notification scheme under issue created

Hi @shetty.  Can you give me an example of how to do this please?

shetty
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 8, 2018

You need to site admin to do this

Create a group and add users in user management

You need to be an jira admin to do this

Project>project settings>Notifications>Actions>edit>under issue created event, click add>select group which you want it to get notified>add.

after this the group containing users will get notified whenever someone creates issue

Note: Make sure that you are not editing default notification scheme instead copy the scheme and then edit

later on associate with project

Project>project settings>Notifications>Actions>use a different scheme

Like Ian Walker likes this

Hi @shetty.

I followed your steps, it was going well, until I had to pick the group to notify for the new notification scheme.  The group that I wanted to add is not listed to be selected (even though I know it exists - JIRA said only 20 of 28 of our groups were shown).

How can I add the group that is not listed?

Thanks.

shetty
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 8, 2018

Hi @Ian Walker

you need to type your group name there,it will show the concerned group

@shetty - Will that work if the group is not listed?

Thanks.

shetty
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 9, 2018

yes

Ian Walker November 9, 2018

Hi @shetty.

Thanks for all your help so far.  I think I have it set up, but I have one related issue.

The group of users who will be notified when a new bug ticket is created contains JIRA users who we don't want to notify.

So, I removed them from the user group and it seems to then stop them from being able to access our JIRA board.  So, to make them have access again, I must add them back to the user group.

How can I remove the users from the user group, but still grant them access to the JIRA board?

Thanks.

shetty
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 11, 2018

Hi @Ian Walker

I have asked to create new group, do not modify the existing group as it might be used in some permissions and workflows

Ian Walker November 11, 2018

Hello.

How would I be able to see who has permission to the board?

Thanks.

Ian

@shetty - Nevermind, found it!  Yes, the group has permissions to access the board.  So I will need to create a new group, just for notifications.

Thanks!

shetty
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 11, 2018

Hi @Ian Walker

yes

Ian Walker November 11, 2018

Thanks so much for your help on this, @shetty!

Suggest an answer