Help me upgrading jira from 7.0.1 to 7.4.x

Qumar July 18, 2017

Hello,

This is first time I've to upgrade JIRA instance from 7.0.1 to 7.4.x version. 

I see the information here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver074/upgrading-jira-applications-with-a-fallback-method-881683262.html

But I need to know exactly what I have to do and how. I have 2 instances to upgrade. Both are enterprise level and have seperate DB and servers. 

My doubts/ questions are

1. How to set up the Proxy server for this particlular case? 

2. Im using SSL certs> would it impact the new version? 

3. What other things I need to care other than the backups?

Thanks

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 18, 2017

We can't tell you more than the docs do - where they leave off, it's things that are specific to your installation.

To answer the bits you have said you're unsure on:

1.  Depends on what you want from it and why you're proxying, but a proxy server can easily handle two installs on different ports and exposing them in different places

2.  Not with the versions of the software you are on, the same certificates should be fine

3.  Don't know what you've got, I'd read the docs again.

Qumar July 18, 2017

Thanks Nic, so am I installling the new software on same server and try to upgrade with the given iunstructions?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 18, 2017

I don't know, because I don't really know what you're doing.

"Install new software" and "try to upgrade" are two totally different processes though (yes, same installer, but very different actions)

Qumar July 18, 2017

The aim is to upgrade the existing version to 7.4.( I just dont want to loose the Data)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 18, 2017

Ok, you'll need to take a backup, and then run the process described in the documentation you referred to earlier.

Qumar July 19, 2017

Let me ask this way> documentation > step 1 > Set up a proxy server > how to do it? 

Rest of the step I can follow then. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 19, 2017

I can't tell you how to set it up, because it depends on the system you are configuring and what proxy you are using.

Have a look at the Atlassian documentation for running JIRA behind an https proxy.  They document Apache, Nginx and IIS.  You should find that the settings for 7.0.1 are the same for 7.4 though, so you should be able to simply replicate the changes to the installation (essentially, change the server.xml and import the certificates into the JVM keystore, and if your proxy server is not changing, there's nothing to do on that side)

Qumar December 13, 2017

Thanks Nic

Suggest an answer